CMBN Repeatedly Crashing

I haven't played CMBN in a while but I've started playing recently - or attempting to play - and the game keeps crashing. I've had three crashes so far and I've only attempted two games. I can't remember what happened during the first crash but the second two crashed during the video replay of the turn.

Is this an issue that is common or am I just unlucky?

Also, when reloading the saved file I was reminded just how long it takes to load a game. I timed it and it was just shy of four minutes to load a saved game. Four minutes. Then I got to watch my units run in a direction I didn't expect because they couldn't go where I had plotted for them to go (but the game won't tell you that) and that particular squad got shot to hell. Another four minute reload.

I think I know why I quit playing in the first place. The game is an exercise in frustration.

I do not experience crashes while playing the game. I suggest opening a support ticket - they might have a list of trouble shooting steps that could narrow things down.

As for being an exercise in frustration - it sure can be. My advice would be two fold:

a) don't reload just take the hit. No wasted time that way.

b) when something like that happens think carefully about the orders you gave and how the TacAI reacted and make different choices next time. Yes, I know that is unfair / annoying but you really can learn how the TacAI "thinks" and as you do you will give orders that maximize the chances of your troops doing a good job and minimize goofy stuff.

I was reminded of my advice again yesterday - I ordered a squad and a couple of other teams across a bridge. It so happens there is a ford on the map as well and the TacAI decided to send four guys off to the ford since the bridge became too crowded. Grrrr. Next set of guys I sent across the bridge got some pause orders to spread them out to prevent that from happening.

Moving troops through certain constrictions i.e.doorways wall gaps, hedge gaps, bridge ways in CM has to be done with a certain finesse like pouring beer from a bottle - don't pour too quickly and overwhem the glass or you'll find there can be messy frothy spillage...

1 hour ago, Wicky said:

Moving troops through certain constrictions i.e.doorways wall gaps, hedge gaps, bridge ways in CM has to be done with a certain finesse like pouring beer from a bottle - don't pour too quickly and overwhem the glass or you'll find there can be messy frothy spillage...

Love that analogy.

• 5 weeks later...

I posted in the tech support thread, but moving from the 430.86 Nvidia drivers to 431.60 *seems* to have solved my crashing issues.  CM is an old-as* graphics engine and doesn't play nice with driver updates it seems.  I have Win 10 (new install on new SSD) and a GTX 1070, but am still on Ver 3.0 of the game until they fix the fleeing infantry issue...

Edited by aleader

2 hours ago, aleader said:

I posted in the tech support thread, but moving from the 430.86 Nvidia drivers to 431.60 *seems* to have solved my crashing issues.  CM is an old-as* graphics engine and doesn't play nice with driver updates it seems.  I have Win 10 (new install on new SSD) and a GTX 1070, 

Glad things are better for ya. I hope it holds. Just for reference my machine runs windows 10 on an SSD with a 760. I have never had a crashing problem with CM games. Ok that's not totally true CMFB did crash for large scenarios with one driver version but that went away after less than a month with a new driver. I do update my drivers pretty much every time there is an update available. My notebook has a 1050 but no SSD and windows 10. It too has never had a problem with CM games crashing.

Consistent crashing problems are the exception not the rule. 

18 hours ago, IanL said:

Glad things are better for ya. I hope it holds. Just for reference my machine runs windows 10 on an SSD with a 760. I have never had a crashing problem with CM games. Ok that's not totally true CMFB did crash for large scenarios with one driver version but that went away after less than a month with a new driver. I do update my drivers pretty much every time there is an update available. My notebook has a 1050 but no SSD and windows 10. It too has never had a problem with CM games crashing.

Consistent crashing problems are the exception not the rule. 

Played right through the same battle 3 times with the new drivers and didn't have any CTDs (wanted a total victory...time limit kept tripping me up).  I can't even list a game that I've had crashing issues with, other than trying to get M1 Tank Platoon 2 to run on Win 10 (a 1998 game).  It does seem from the posts on these forums that crashing is an issue in this game, and it's the game engine, not my card or the drivers.  If it were something other than the game, I should have crashes on some of the other games I play when I update the Nvidia drivers, but I don't (over 160 games in my Steam library, 11 on Origin).  Obviously the crashes aren't widespread, but they are an issue.  For the record, I'm still hanging around here going on 20 years now, so I'm a fan.  I just wish, like others, that we'd get a game like this with a modern graphics engine.

Played right through the same battle 3 times with the new drivers and didn't have any CTDs (wanted a total victory...time limit kept tripping me up). 

Good news.

I can't even list a game that I've had crashing issues with, other than trying to get M1 Tank Platoon 2 to run on Win 10 (a 1998 game).  It does seem from the posts on these forums that crashing is an issue in this game, and it's the game engine, not my card or the drivers.  If it were something other than the game, I should have crashes on some of the other games I play when I update the Nvidia drivers, but I don't (over 160 games in my Steam library, 11 on Origin). 

Yes, but I could make a similar argument: It does seem from the posts on these forums that crashing is an issue with some peoples machines, and its likely the video cards or motherboard or (insert random component), not the game. If it were the game then everyone would experience crashes but only some people do.

Clearly we cannot both be right - my money is on us both being wrong and it will be some interesting combination of things.

Obviously the crashes aren't widespread, but they are an issue. 

Agreed. Is there anyone reading this experiencing this kind of thing now? Have you opened a support ticket?

For the record, I'm still hanging around here going on 20 years now, so I'm a fan.  I just wish, like others, that we'd get a game like this with a modern graphics engine.

For sure - and anyone would like to see this never be an issue for anyone. As for new graphics - would be nice, I'll be here if they do arrive.

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Yes, but I could make a similar argument: It does seem from the posts on these forums that crashing is an issue with some peoples machines, and its likely the video cards or motherboard or (insert random component), not the game. If it were the game then everyone would experience crashes but only some people do.

Clearly we cannot both be right - my money is on us both being wrong and it will be some interesting combination of things.

I'll let you be right this time...do you work for BF?  Serious question.

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Agreed. Is there anyone reading this experiencing this kind of thing now? Have you opened a support ticket?

For sure - and anyone would like to see this never be an issue for anyone. As for new graphics - would be nice, I'll be here if they do arrive.

Why would I open a support ticket and waste my time when I solved the issue on my own?  And yes, hopefully I'll still be alive when they release a new engine...

58 minutes ago, aleader said:

I'll let you be right this time...do you work for BF?  Serious question.

Volunteer tester. I don't have to be right - like. I said most likely I'm not. As a tester I have an interest in trouble shooting things.

58 minutes ago, aleader said:

Why would I open a support ticket and waste my time when I solved the issue on my own?  And yes, hopefully I'll still be alive when they release a new engine...

So BFC knows this is happening / has happened. They cannot fix what they don't know about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 8:19 PM, guachi said:

I haven't played CMBN in a while but I've started playing recently - or attempting to play - and the game keeps crashing.

Lots of people get crashes. The solution is usually to toggle off the shaders (press alt+R).

The game engine is ancient and is starting to break up against newer hardware/driver combinations.