cease fire

26 minutes ago, grungar said:

is cease fire against the ai sleeze fire. I've scored wins and losses using it. 

A cease fire stops the game and gives the points out as they have been earned up to that point in the scenario.  A surrender awards all points to the other player (AI or human) even if all objectives have not been secured.  

17 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

A surrender awards all points to the other player (AI or human) even if all objectives have not been secured.  

Just a minor clarification - if your opponent surrenders you are awarded all occupy objectives and any forces that surrender count towards any destroy unit objectives that you have. As @MOS:96B2P said. It does not give you threshold objectives - unless you satisfy them of course. It does not take any points away from what your opponent earned for their destroy unit objectives, thresholds or bounuses.

17 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

If the scenario designer allows you to, you can do it.
There are ways of making a ceasefire victory impossible until certain conditions are met.

Correct.

17 hours ago, IanL said:

Oh good point - cease firing early could lead to victory that feels a bit off. Designers can make that less appealing but I'm not sure if it is big design problem since by doing that you are limiting your game experience and your enjoyment.

For me it is a key consideration in the VP structure and my testing regime. Generally I cease fire at the start and in five minute increments to check that an early cease fire gives the intended result and does not reward a player who is tempted to opt for an early cease fire. I would say that this is probably the most difficult thing to craft but I have learned a few tricks along the way. I don't see it as a means of making my scenarios less appealing at all, it is simply a means of ensuring that the player gets a fair result in return for the effort they have expended up to the point that they cease fire. In my view this approach is an absolute must in anything designed to be played H2H (which admittedly I don't design much of).