Bradley's fire TOWs?

ebphoto

I was wondering if there is a way to get the Bradley's to fire their TOW missiles instead of the main gun or in addition to it? There are times when a TOW missile would be beneficial but I don't see a way to get them to use it! For example, softening up a hard or stubborn target before an assault! Is there a key or targeting special that I'm messing?

Thank you,

Eric

Edited by ebphoto

In CMBS they're fielding the overflight TOW 2B missile which is utterly useless against anything except armor. A pair of downward firing platter charges.
2008 timeframe CMSF2 Bradleys are firing the TOW 2A missile with a standard HEAT warhead so they get used against non-armor targets much more frequently.

But, to answer your question, the crew decides which weapon to first. The player has no control over it.

Just now, MikeyD said:

In CMBS they're fielding the overflight TOW 2B missile which is utterly useless against anything except armor.

By the way, do this missiles work right in the game? If my tanks move slowly, they tend to miss with high probability, just damaging tracks. It is it reallistic?

From what little I know, there are two 'skeet' platter charges in the (real world) TOW body so when it fires downward it doubles the chance of maybe hitting something vital. Which means there's always the chance it won't hit something vital, like the fenders over the tracks. In my experience I've never seen TOW in CMBS fail to destroy the vehicle if it manages to make it to the target. Sound's like you've been lucky.

Just now, MikeyD said:

From what little I know, there are two 'skeet' platter charges in the (real world) TOW body so when it fires downward it doubles the chance of maybe hitting something vital. Which means there's always the chance it won't hit something vital, like the fenders over the tracks. In my experience I've never seen TOW in CMBS fail to destroy the vehicle if it manages to make it to the target. Sound's like you've been lucky. 

Interesting that slowly moving tank has more chances to survive (happens often enough in version 3.0), but fast moving is hit with almost 100% probability. Looks like simulation of lead mistake. Static target = zero lead, moving target - some average lead (may be 5 mils for example) for any speed.

9 hours ago, MikeyD said:

In CMBS they're fielding the overflight TOW 2B missile which is utterly useless against anything except armor.

I take exception to that statement. About a month ago I targeted a Bradley on a brick building. For the first several seconds it fired the gun to no obvious effect. Then it fired two TOWs, which demolished that part of the building quite nicely along with the enemy soldiers that had been hiding there.

Michael

2 hours ago, ebphoto said:

I was hoping there was a way to make them use it,

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

About a month ago I targeted a Bradley on a brick building. For the first several seconds it fired the gun to no obvious effect. Then it fired two TOWs, which demolished that part of the building quite nicely along with the enemy soldiers that had been hiding there.  

I loaded my CMBS test map and Targeted a building with a Bradley.  For the first 3 minutes or so it used the 25mm.  Then it switched over and fired a TOW-2B.  Not sure what caused the AI to switch to the TOW.  Nothing changed except the ammo count of the 25mm.  The 25mm was down to 390 HE when the TOW-2B was fired.  Screenshots below.   

rEMDyjuh.jpg

4bQuFOYh.png

ualzaNUh.jpg 

6 minutes ago, IanL said:

Looks like it chewed up the wall and then put a TOW through the opening. Am I reading those screen shots correctly? I have no idea if that's the "thought" process the Tac AI is using there or not. Does that sound like a viable strategy to get the TOW 2B to do damage to a building?

The 25mm fired for about three minutes on Target and took out the south wall.  Then the TOW fired and went through the opening in the south wall to hit the north wall. 

I've seen, on other weapon systems, where the AI switched weapons when on the Target command (basically Area Target where the AI did not see a specific Opfor unit type).  It was just shooting because I ordered it.  In these circumstances It seemed the AI switched weapons based on the ammo count of the weapons involved.  If it sees an actual OpFor unit (Tank etc.) then it uses that info to help make a decision.   If it is just given an area target and has no information on an OpFor unit I suspect the decision to switch may be based on the ammo count.  I have not tested the switching logic specifically just noticed the behavior while testing other things.           

On 11/2/2018 at 1:11 AM, DMS said:

Interesting that slowly moving tank has more chances to survive (happens often enough in version 3.0), but fast moving is hit with almost 100% probability. Looks like simulation of lead mistake. Static target = zero lead, moving target - some average lead (may be 5 mils for example) for any speed.

Whats very interesting in regard to the engine with this was a year or two ago I tested quite a bit and proved that in BN and other titles if tanks drove slow over mines theyd never be KOd or immobilized just take minor track damage, whereas hunt or anything faster would cause a KO or immobilization.

TBH not sure if it was ever fixed - I whined a lot and cant remember even getting a response from anyone so I kinda gave up. It was specific to AT mines.

Also - Im very surprised that the Javelin has an option were it doesnt execute a top attack, but the TOW 2B doesnt. Is this soley because the downward firing 'skeeters' replaced the old armament to the point that it just detonating in say a bunker wouldnt kill anyone anyways?

Edited by Sublime