bailing out of an AT gun

10 hours ago, rocketman said:

I also seem to recall that Steve once said about the issue that AT gun crews usually spiked the gun when abandoning it. 

Spiking the guns? I only know that from muzzle loaders, where crews hammered a spike into the touchhole when abandoning the gun.

From a breach loader, one could remove the lock block. But that is a more complicated task. In my service times, I had to disassemble the lock of a 20mm AA gun a few times. Which usually ended in a Desaster. Well, it took me much longer than my trainers expected.

Edited by StieliAlpha

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Wasn't the barrel designed to handle much greater pressure than from a grenade?

It's the difference between high explosive and low explosive. A high explosive like TNT propagates very, very quickly, while a propellent like cordite propagates more slowly. So the high explosive reaches its maximum expansion more or less instantaneously, whereas the propellent develops its pressure gradually as the projectile is accelerated down the barrel. The high explosive exceeds the limits of the tube's elasticity and it shatters. At least, that's how I understand it.

Michael

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Why would they bother with special thermite grenades if regular hand grenades would shatter the barrel?

Better safe than sorry, perhaps? Also larger caliber guns might need more to be put out of comission. Think thermite was used for tanks also.

I do seem to remember something about Yankees using thermite grenades upon German artillery pieces during the Normandy landings. But the idea was that they targeted the firing and sighting mechanisms (welding the working parts together basically) rather than putting them down the barrel to deform it.

Some period (and modern) engineering manuals also suggest using the pieces own ammunition to do the job on the barrel;

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Oliver_88

Interesting, 808 = Plastic Explosive

And digging around Brecourt Manor method of taking out the 105 guns - they apparently used TNT and a German grenade as a detenator on the first gun disabled. At least according to Ambrose...

Image%2525202018-10-24%252520at%25252011

Though seems odd that if they carried in and used TNT demo blocks they didn't have their own fuses.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/271004-wwii-demolition-equipment-help/

Edited by Wicky

I believe it’s a well known phenomenon with some explosives (also remember QI refering to it as “bang head”). Assuming I remember correct it’s apparently due to Nitroglycerin in them. Seem to remember that you do not have to even ingest them or anything to get the symtpoms, just handling for long enough could bring them on, as you absorb the stuff through your skin or through smell etc.

Edited by Oliver_88