Game mode - Real-time / Turn-base

BigOHenry

I think the two basic game modes are so intrinsic to the system now that they hardly merit a mention... at least in the eyes of the familiar.

Indeed. Also the recent games have shipped with two manuals. One dedicated to the setting and equipment - for CMBS a preview was recently provided. And the other dedicated to the game system, which includes said play modes. I did not see any announcement that would suggest a change will happen for CMBS.

Hello, have the BS more game mods like SF? I mean real-time and turn-base. Streams and the manual nothing says about real-time game mode.

Thnk you

Page 21 of the manual:

Turn-based play (also known as WEGO) in Combat Mission allows the player to order commands and examine the battlefield at his leisure while the action is paused. Once the player begins the turn however, the action will continue for 60 seconds without interruption. The player can
replay the turn as often as they like, and, once satisfied, a phase of giving orders begins, and so on.

In Real Time, the action will be continuous and you can issue orders at any time; you can also pause the game by pressing the ESC key and continue to issue orders. Replay is not available in Real Time mode.

Against AI I play in Real-time, against the living player already Turn-base. If in the future add more than one player for the party to MP, it will be possible too in Real-time.

Против АИ я играю в Real-time , против живого игрока уже в Turn-base . Если в будующем в MP добавят более одного игрока за сторону , то можно тоже будет в Real-time.

my problem has allways been micro management. When i play realtime, i get sucked into the action at low level and i loose track of the larger battle. Usually means i suffer horribly where i'm not focused, and\or run my focused-on troops way ahead of support. End of the story is allways horrible. So i prefer WEGO as it forces and allows me to disengage from whats going on in detail, and focus on the entire battle.

I love micro management, give me a game on the scale of Gary Grigsby's War in The East with management down to the individual soldier and tank, and i'd be loving it. But i wouldn't win much.

my problem has allways been micro management. When i play realtime, i get sucked into the action at low level and i loose track of the larger battle. Usually means i suffer horribly where i'm not focused, and\or run my focused-on troops way ahead of support. End of the story is allways horrible. So i prefer WEGO as it forces and allows me to disengage from whats going on in detail, and focus on the entire battle.

I love micro management, give me a game on the scale of Gary Grigsby's War in The East with management down to the individual soldier and tank, and i'd be loving it. But i wouldn't win much.

I prefer playing real-time multi-player for exactly the bolded reason; a big part of the skill cap involved is learning to balance micro against macro and reasoning in the face of uncertainty. A player who is less experienced can still pull off a reverse against a player who is more technically skilled, but lets one element override the other or has issues with taking a batch of information (some of which is misleading or irrelevant) and converting that mentally into a picture of enemy intention and disposition.

I prefer real time because a lot of stuff that would be on a platoon leader to figure out becomes your problem in the game.  So when in reality giving some broad intent would get a wider selection of stuff done, in game you really have to make nearly all the choices, and the minute long blocks of gameplay are just too long for my tastes in terms of trying to plot stuff like that out.

I prefer real time because a lot of stuff that would be on a platoon leader to figure out becomes your problem in the game.  So when in reality giving some broad intent would get a wider selection of stuff done, in game you really have to make nearly all the choices, and the minute long blocks of gameplay are just too long for my tastes in terms of trying to plot stuff like that out.

Ditto. The AI is unable to make tactical decisions (or in gaming terms, micro), so you have to do it for them (you have to micro them) to get a somewhat realistic tactical response. A minute delay in between each tactical decision is just too long and will get people killed needlessly and slow things down too much. Maybe that was realistic in WW2 without the radios and much lower skilled soldiers, I don't know, but things are a lot more dynamic in modern warfare. Certain tactics are also simply not possible using the turn based mode because they require more micro than is possible with the turn based controls.

That said, the replay function in turn based mode makes it excellent for creating videos.

If in the future add more than one player for the party to MP, it will be possible too in Real-time.

Like co-op? Yes, please! :)

Edited by BlackAlpha