Is the game still active?

There are definitely still people playing this and putting out scenarios for CMSF - however I don't know if there are many who play PBEM. If you have just purchased the game I'd at least play a few scenarios against the AI before you tackle a human opponent.

If you can't find anybody on this forum try a Few Good Men:

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-shock-force-afghanistan.169/

Welcome aboard. CMSF is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to CM kickassery. it's still a great game but a bit long in the tooth compared to the awesomeness of the WWII and approaching Black Sea titles. Fortunately BFC has plans to remake CMSF with all the newest up-to-date features that are in these other titles.

If you don't know already, all of BFC's titles, starting with CMBN are being kept at the same engine version. Which means anytime they introduce a feature or features in a new title, said features (if applicable) will be ported to ALL the other games already released for a ten dollar upgrade fee per title. So far that's been happening about once a year. So, what that means is is that all your games will be at the best and latest version of the engine. CMSF2 when it's done will also benefit from this.

As far as CMSF 1, once you delve into it, I highly recommend picking up the other modules, they all are fun and play differently. have a blast and let us know what you think of the game. And if you have questions just ask away and we'll help you as best we can. There's years and years of discussion and info here.

Mord.

• 3 weeks later...

I still play it. I think it's actually my overall favourite. The newer titles have a lot of little enhancements, but CMSF still looks and plays very well.

The modules are worth it - Marines in particular is a hoot to play. You'll get an appreciation for how effective modern infantry are, and also how vulnerable armour is.

(ww2 for me is mental torture nowadays. "oh there is an AT gun." 5 mins later... "there is still that AT gun." someday bloody kill that thing ffs!!:mad:)

I find this with ATGM's too, it makes me laugh (beats crying!).

You can have one unit in a clump of trees 500m away; you can pepper it with grenade fire; suppress and hit it with two squads; finally plaster it with a 155mm barrage.

In the last turn, it will still take out a vehicle with its last remaining crew member.