Panzer IV J (late): Number of return rollers

The Panzer IV J (late) is a new vehicle that came with Market Garden.

It is my understanding that the late versions only had three return rollers, while the ingame model has four.

Of course, there is no reliable or fixed definition for putting vehicles of one Ausführung into early/mid/late/latest category, but maybe someone around here knows for sure if the vehicles that were around in September 44 already had only three return rollers or if those only came from a later production model.

The J model of the PzKw IV was produced from June of 1944 until March of 1945. 1758 were produced. Obvious physical changes included the deletion of the auxilliary electric traverse motor, 3 return rollers, steel tired roadwheels and vertical exhaust mufflers. Other Pzkw chassis were used to build Brummbars and Jagdpanzer IV 70 in different factories.

The J model had only three return rollers according to documentation.

The J was definitely built with four rollers as well. The modifications listed on wikipedia are a list of modifications that took place during the production run. The individual tanks varied according to factory and available materiel.

But judging by photos the deleting of the fourth road wheel must have taken place late in 1944. Photos earlier seem to have a lot of them with four, while by Wacht am Rhein the ones with three are everywhere. Photos from Arnhem have them with four, IIRC.

I was going t jump onto my Jentz PzIV reference to see if he gives an introduction date for the return roller switch... except I forgot I don't own the Jentz book on the PzIV series! An unfortunate lacuna in my grog knowledge. :)

About no 'Js around Arnhem, perhaps it should be thought of as a general September intro vehicle like Hellcat and not specific to that battle. Not much reference on Crusader AA tanks directly involved either.

The Panzer IV J (late) is a new vehicle that came with Market Garden.

It is my understanding that the late versions only had three return rollers, while the ingame model has four.

Of course, there is no reliable or fixed definition for putting vehicles of one Ausführung into early/mid/late/latest category, but maybe someone around here knows for sure if the vehicles that were around in September 44 already had only three return rollers or if those only came from a later production model.

This site was nice, but I also have many books and video's.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer_IV.php