Movie - 9th Company

Sorry if this has been discussed before I just saw the movie The 9th Company. USSR troops in Afghanistan.

Reminded me of Full Metal Jacket a little. With the first dedicated to boot camp then action in county. Pretty good.

I don't own this game so it might even be a scenario.

I've seen it make rounds on Youtube as a full-length subbed version.

I wouldn't bother though, seriously bad movie. Bad acting, dialogue, boring at times...the combat scenes are the worst, it's worse than Hollywood trite, the Mujahideen are depicted as somekind of ninjas who jump 30 feet into the air in slow-motion from underground tunnels in their black ninja uniform. The final "climactic" battle is ridiculous to watch. You have tons of Muj walking up a hill in somesort of "300" ripoff scene and the Soviets shoot clips loaded with a thousand rounds at them from 10 ****ing feet away without hitting anything. (the whole "you can't depict a battle in movie format unless the combatants are hugging eachother" BS is just an explanation bad directors use when their talent has ran out.

Stay far away from that turd.

Would rather watch Afghan Breakdown, even though IMDB rates 9th Company as better than it... But yeah, it's seriously bad. It's like a Russian director wannabe has spent his entire life adoring and watching C-movies from Hollywood and tries to emulate them but somehow fails horribly.

I did get a jolly good laugh out of the Full Metal Jacket & 9th Company comparison, that was a joke right? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I won that movie in a contest on Facebook that included posting your thoughts on lessons the US learned from the Soviet experience in Afghanistan, and what they had to learn the hard way themselves. I lit up said comment board just talking and ended up winning the movie, a poster, and $100 to Amazon which bought me Rise of Flight and some books, all in all totally worth the time spent.

As far as the movie, the above comments are accurate, but I didn't go into the movie expecting much so it was easy not to be disappointed. The kit featured in the movie was pretty accurate to my knowledge of soviet equipment. GP-30's loaded from the muzzle like they should, and there were the usual assortment of Mi-24 Hind-A's, Antonov transports, BTRs, and BMP-2s. The acting was meh, but it was watchable. Loved the blonde..... ;D

• 4 weeks later...

As far as the movie, the above comments are accurate, but I didn't go into the movie expecting much so it was easy not to be disappointed. The kit featured in the movie was pretty accurate to my knowledge of soviet equipment. GP-30's loaded from the muzzle like they should, and there were the usual assortment of Mi-24 Hind-A's, Antonov transports, BTRs, and BMP-2s. The acting was meh, but it was watchable. Loved the blonde..... ;D

AFAIK, the movie was filmed in Ukraine with an assistance of Ukrainian MOD - hence the presence of T-64BV that had never been deployed anywhere close to Afghanistan...

What's more important though, is that even though the movie claims to be base on real events; it has nothing in common with the actions of the 9th company of 345th VDV regiment during operation Magistral that it is supposed to be based on.

In real life the VDV paratroopers were able to hold their ground and to fight back multiple attacks with much smaller casualties (6 KIA) and their actions were not discarded or ignored by their command as the movie claims.

Peace,

DreDay

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...