Possible TRP Revelation!

I just saw something in the manual regarding TRP's that I had no idea was in CMBN.

This snippet is from page 87 of the CMBN manual and is the Example paragraph for the HIDE command.

"Example - we hide a German Panzerschreck team to let the first few vehicles

and US infantry pass by before un-hiding and launching a grenade at the

side of an enemy tank. This ambush tactic is especially effective if used in

conjunction with a friendly Target Reference Point (TRP), as this increases

the firing unit’s accuracy for the first shot."

In the last sentence, the manual basically states that TRPs increase all local unit's accuracy and does not just affect Artillery!

I remember a similar feature from CMx1, but I had no idea it was in CMBN.

What do you all think about this?

Oh ok, I wonder if it would be worth PMing a dev over. I assume that if it is in the manual then it is true, however, from what I remember there are things in the manual that did not make it into the game.

Yes, and until we know otherwise it is also possible that the writer of the manual (are you listening, Moon?) might have been channeling a recollection of how it was in CMx1, and since it was the end of a long and arduous day, inserted those words by error.

Michael

Just found this on page 82 also. Pretty much says the same thing but more directly.

"Note: A special situation is the targetting of an enemy unit

near a TRP (Target Reference Point). In CM:BN, these

double-function not only for artillery support fire, but

also as “ambush markers”. Soldiers targetting an enemy

unit near a friendly TRP are much better at estimating

the range correctly."

Just found this on page 82 also. Pretty much says the same thing but more directly.

"Note: A special situation is the targetting of an enemy unit

near a TRP (Target Reference Point). In CM:BN, these

double-function not only for artillery support fire, but

also as “ambush markers”. Soldiers targetting an enemy

unit near a friendly TRP are much better at estimating

the range correctly."

From CMx1 I had always thought this was meant to be more an attempt to reflect bore sighting a location and have used it with the same function in mind in CMBN. A handheld AT weapon though seems a little funky to be using this, but if it works I'll have to keep it in mind.

From CMx1 I had always thought this was meant to be more an attempt to reflect bore sighting a location and have used it with the same function in mind in CMBN. A handheld AT weapon though seems a little funky to be using this, but if it works I'll have to keep it in mind.

I wonder if handheld AT troops really measured out ranges like this in real life while setting up ambushes. I don't see why they wouldnt, just never heard of anyone doing it before for handheld AT systems.

On the otherhand, I have heard a voiced account (on a documentary) from a German panther tank commander that they did indeed fire rounds into trees/ground/objects in order to get accurate ranges for setting up defensive positions and ambushes.

I wonder if handheld AT troops really measured out ranges like this in real life while setting up ambushes. I don't see why they wouldnt, just never heard of anyone doing it before for handheld AT systems.

On the otherhand, I have heard a voiced account (on a documentary) from a German panther tank commander that they did indeed fire rounds into trees/ground/objects in order to get accurate ranges for setting up defensive positions and ambushes.

German defensive fire plans were worked out on all levels, incl. squad positions and single heavy weapons. It wouldn´t be unusual to have dozens of TRPs for an elaborate defense, although CMBN (and CMX1) just has a generic type, which can be used for all weapons and units....as long as they don´t move since initial deployment I think.

One of the standard practices the Germans engaged in was to register their defensive works for artillery strikes. That way, when they retreated, if the enemy occupied the dugouts and trenches, the German artillery could strike them very accurately.

Don't use the enemy's fortifications. :)

This is a practice used by every army, using technology that allowed weapons to be fired at longer ranges. Even medieval archers used crude ranging tools, and they were experts at visual estimations and British armies of the late 18th century had custom made range stakes, hence the dramatic scene in Zulu Dawn.

(8:50 onwards)