Hull facing request, mortar bug report

Light AT gun somewhere at 12 o'clock, mortar shelling your boys at 9 o'clock, 200 yards. A couple of well placed HE rounds could fix the mortar... the problem, your driver is RETARDED. Every time I give a fire order he turns the hull, even with a paused movement order. To make it worse as the hull sits there and slowly turns the fast turret keeps cycling through rotating aiming rotating aiming rotating aiming until the hull is done. ...and now the 5cm gun that was in front of you has a penetrable surface to aim at. There is no way I have found to leave the turret waiting to fire at something to the side and the hull a different way... and there are MANY reasons to do this: ambush, a quick reaction without changing intended movement direction, and the fact that a tank's armor is NOT strongest from the direct front. (A Tiger's armor is actually strongest about 35° from front.)

PLEASE: even as a quick work around, make the hull stay put when there is a paused movement order.

BUG REPORTS: I doubt I'm the first one to report this, but just in case (and just in case I'm doing something wrong)... I can't get on screen mortars to STOP firing sometimes. I cancel the target, tell them to hide, give them a target arc with nothing in it... ploomp, ploomp, ploomp, until I tell them to pack up. It's the only way I've seen to stop them. It doesn't happen every time, but does happen often enough to be irritating. It happens in both direct and indirect (on map) fire missions.

Also, I keep having occasional issues with smoke. Mortars, tanks carrying or with access to smoke of some type will not fire additional missions. Example- mortar fires two smoke and then I cancel target. Smoke clears but smoke is now greyed out and wont fire additional even though there are four more smoke rounds with the team (or in the magazine for vehicles).

OH- can we have a quick hot key for cancel target? I see where there is a slot for it but when I put something into the text file for cancel target it still doesn't work. That's a good hotkey to have. (Thinking about it since both of these have something to do with cancel target.)

See ya,

Mike

OH- can we have a quick hot key for cancel target? I see where there is a slot for it but when I put something into the text file for cancel target it still doesn't work. That's a good hotkey to have. (Thinking about it since both of these have something to do with cancel target.)

The absolute hotkey for Cancel Target is Delete. You can't change it in the hotkeys file, because the default is an untypable key and you could never get it back.

I may be a doofus, but doesn't 'cover arc' do this already? 'Face' will face the hull, and 'cover arc' will rotate the turret to point in the middle of the covered arc...

It may do that for 'overwatch' purposes, but I think I've seen the hull turn to face, once a target has been aquired and the commander wants to bring it under fire.

Doesn't work on my Mac. For me, the only thing Delete does is cancel the last leg of a movement order.

Michael

On the PC, backspace 9top right of main keyboard section) cancels the last waypoint, delete (next to insert, home etc.) cancels the target. No idea if there is an equivalent key on the mac keyboard, but I'd imagine there is one somewhere.

Also, I keep having occasional issues with smoke. Mortars, tanks carrying or with access to smoke of some type will not fire additional missions. Example- mortar fires two smoke and then I cancel target. Smoke clears but smoke is now greyed out and wont fire additional even though there are four more smoke rounds with the team (or in the magazine for vehicles).

See ya,

Mike

This can be extremely annoying. I had an attack that relied on my smoke from two on-map 81mm and sadly both tubes only fired a single smoke shell. So both tubes each had four smokes left but the option was now greyed/disabled. I understand the TacAI kicks in to preserve the smokes, but it's way too intrusive in this case. The player should have control of this at all times IMO.

Doesn't work on my Mac. For me, the only thing Delete does is cancel the last leg of a movement order.

Michael

Possibly Mac/PC terminology confusion... On the PC, <Backspace> is the cancel last leg keybind. Do Macs not have two ways of deleting a single character? The character to the left of the cursor (<Backspace>) and the character to the right of the cursor (<Delete>)?

Womble- thank you! Delete does the trick. At least that part's fixed for me. unfortunately that was an afterthought to my primary three points. Do we know if there are any patches/ modules coming out any time soon?

Sadly the wish to set the facing of the hull one way while have the turret point another way is a long standing annoyance. For me it dates back to the Brit module of CMSF (3 years ago?) with the Warrior IFV, which had very good side protection against RPGs (and event some ATGMs) courtesy of ERA blocks, but a hit to the front would usually be a catastrophic vehicle loss including most of the squad being carried in it. So if it ever spotted an enemy AT asset, it would insist on rotating to face it, giving the enemy the best possible chance of killing he vehicle. Staying side on to the enemy and just turning the turret would have been vastly superior, but I never found a way to make that happen.

Light AT gun somewhere at 12 o'clock, mortar shelling your boys at 9 o'clock, 200 yards. A couple of well placed HE rounds could fix the mortar... the problem, your driver is RETARDED. Every time I give a fire order he turns the hull, even with a paused movement order. To make it worse as the hull sits there and slowly turns the fast turret keeps cycling through rotating aiming rotating aiming rotating aiming until the hull is done. ...and now the 5cm gun that was in front of you has a penetrable surface to aim at. There is no way I have found to leave the turret waiting to fire at something to the side and the hull a different way... and there are MANY reasons to do this: ambush, a quick reaction without changing intended movement direction, and the fact that a tank's armor is NOT strongest from the direct front. (A Tiger's armor is actually strongest about 35° from front.)

PLEASE: even as a quick work around, make the hull stay put when there is a paused movement order.<snip>

Yeah I have seen that too and it is extremely frustrating to watch. I have found my self yelling at the screen over this. IRL I suspect that the tank commander would yell at the driver to stop messing around too:-)

As far as I can tell the problem is the movement order. Even though it is paused they driver faces the vehicle towards the next movement order's direction. The work around is: plot a short movement order directly forward (or directly backward) so that there is no need to turn the hull to face the direction of the first movement order. Pause the tank for 15 or 20s targeting the mortar then let the tank move forward and target the AT gun. I think that should work it has worked for me in not quite identical circumstances.

In my case I was trying to extract the tank from its dangerous position but get a shot off before backing away. Your situation might be different because you are targeting the lower threat target and trying to get them to ignore the more dangerous target. I am not sure if that will effect my suggestion or not.