QB - Upper Limit ??

Hello group,

I took a look in the manual but I cannot find an answer to this question.

When selecting the options in a QB is there a way to manually select the number of purchase points (pp)?

I see the force adjustment of 150%, so the maximum using this with meeting engagement is approximately 17,000 pp.

Is this the maximum the software can handle? Presumably, as long as your CPU and GPU can handle it, why set a maximum upper limit on pp and map size ??

Thank you,

JB

For 'special games' you can always import any QB map into the editor, hand-select any units you want (no points system to worry about) and save out as a proper standalone scenario. That's not just useful for purchasing battalions+, it also come in hand when you get an urge to try oddball games like Tigers versus battleship artillery ,or snipers versus airpower.

If you don't like knowing the enemy mix you could do a batch of 'special' scenarios then let them sit for awhile til the memory of their force mix has faded. :)

I dunno if anyone has played the really interesting looking "Fire Brigade" or "Bloody Omaha" (the original version) to any conclusion but they brought my pretty high-powered system to its knees. Either it slows down to unacceptable (to me) speeds, or it crashes.

CM1 is the only game system which can enable one to easily play Regimental-sized scenarios with severl companies of armor and other vehicles on the largest maps possible.

CM2 is brilliant for smallish company-sized infantry-dominated and urban warfare scenarios.

I dunno if anyone has played the really interesting looking "Fire Brigade" or "Bloody Omaha" (the original version) to any conclusion but they brought my pretty high-powered system to its knees. Either it slows down to unacceptable (to me) speeds, or it crashes.

CM1 is the only game system which can enable one to easily play Regimental-sized scenarios with severl companies of armor and other vehicles on the largest maps possible.

CM2 is brilliant for smallish company-sized infantry-dominated and urban warfare scenarios.

CM1 would bring my machine to its needs also. but ten years and a few machines later and yes, one can play Regimental size battles.

Given time, personnal computers will allow Cm2 to be played at larger and larger levels. but the truth is, it was not designed for it, it is just gamers wanting to push it to them levels.

Personnally I think you are all crazy to want to take it to that size.

Bloody Omaha is taxing on my machine. i thought about editing it for myself to part of the beach so that I can enjoy it. Tried wego and just did not enjoy the time it was taking to calc. a turn.

"Personnally I think you are all crazy to want to take it to that size."

But, of course that is why so many of us loved CM1 and still play it. You represent a different market that wants the small-scale infantry dominated battles that CM2 caters to.

And we can't wait 10 years for affordable computer to be able to handle large CM2 scenarios. By then the game technology will have moved on yet again with CM4 or whatever. In any case, with CM1, IIRC I was able to play the largest scenarios within 3 years of CMBO first coming out.

To each his own, I played some larger cmX1 battles and enjoyed them.

But there comes a level where nothing much is gained and it becomes a lot of work for not much in return. So I just think there is a size and scale of battle that fits best for the tactical challenge.

I like the concept that is in other war games, like the total war series.

Movement and supplies and stuff should be done on a larger map that represents operational challenges. Once battle locations are identified, then the tactical level should be played. I personnally dont want to move a tons of units all over a huge map to still find myself fighting multi company battles.

Just my opinion of how I want to spend my time.

So far it seems to me that a map size of approx 1Km by 2Km, with forces of around a short Btn versus... less is about max for enjoyable pbem CM2 for average machines. Files sizes and comp load can get harsh even so.

I wanted to make a short Regiment attack battle, but it would kill most machines, and make files of unworkable size.

The map/force can be larger if it is steppes or other open ground type. Less stuff on tiles makes more room for units and space.

A reinforced Btn versus the same on a 2Km by 3Km map would be pushing it I would think, unless you have some Alienware or Falcon Northwest tower in your room.

The more I work with the new game/engine, the more I prefer leaving the uber-battles in CMBB. An American Battalion is a LOT to deal with if one starts splitting squads. Then add in all the armor and mortars.