Animated AAR's

We have an ongoing tournament at WeBandofBrothers and I decided (though in the middle of the game) to start taking top view screenshots on each turn and create an "animated AAR" of the game. Here's the first of them http://www.vimeo.com/29847272

Would like to hear comments how to improve them. The ongoing games that I'm "recording" now are not in the tilted square format so they will be easier to crop and align unlike in this video where the images jump a bit... Maybe some music or sounds should be added and maybe some notes on key events. What else? Or should I drop the whole idea :)

I like the idea very much and something like that would be a good tool to analyse battles.

But the pumping and moving makes it very hard to follow the movement of the icons.

Notes on key events would be necessary. Without that and not knowing the scenario/setup its hard to guess whats happening.

IMHO a mixture of this, textual description and 3D scenes would make the perfect VAAR. But this would be a LOT of work.

• 1 month later...

One of my PBEM opponents and I do something like this for each match. We take shots all during the match for any event we deem cool, strange or significant. We then name each file by its match time and a longish caption. This creates a sort of AAR storybook timeline from each side for our battles. We have also started mixing in Annotated Overview shots which capture our changing thoughts and assumtions during several points in the battle.

One of my PBEM opponents and I do something like this for each match. We take shots all during the match for any event we deem cool, strange or significant. We then name each file by its match time and a longish caption. This creates a sort of AAR storybook timeline from each side for our battles. We have also started mixing in Annotated Overview shots which capture our changing thoughts and assumtions during several points in the battle.

I had posted an AAR of a battle of Bois de Baugin including periodic overhead screenshots, but it appears to have disappeared from the forum. I do think they are really helpful at giving a positional reference to enhance the information to other screenshots of the action.

Ha found it buried in the archive, maybe blowing some dust off it will encourage me to do something similar again.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=98975

I had posted an AAR of a battle of Bois de Baugin including periodic overhead screenshots, but it appears to have disappeared from the forum. I do think they are really helpful at giving a positional reference to enhance the information to other screenshots of the action.

Ha found it buried in the archive, maybe blowing some dust off it will encourage me to do something similar again.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=98975

Ah, yes, I remember reading/enjoying your AAR a while back. Reading good AARs that really capture the battle are so relaxing & interesting.