Small arms vs Heavy Flak

Thing is, no mortars/HQs/FO close enought to call fire, and I'm trying to decide wether to fire small arms with infantry, and run the risk of getting creamed before artry can be called, or just hide/run away. Also short on time for the entire scenario, so I don't want to waste time.

Thing is, no mortars/HQs/FO close enought to call fire, and I'm trying to decide wether to fire small arms with infantry, and run the risk of getting creamed before artry can be called, or just hide/run away. Also short on time for the entire scenario, so I don't want to waste time.

Depends what volume of smallarms fire you can lay down in the first instance, really. Suppression is what you're after. If you can't suppress them really quickly, you'll get suppressed yourself and then blown into itty bitty pieces before you've killed any crew unless you're very lucky. The shield is pretty good cover, but enough fire can sneak a bullet under. If you're in range for rifle grenades or bazookas, and have them available, that should improve your odds.

It also depends what other assets the Jerries have in the area. If you're fairly close, you might be able to rush 'em if there aren't any nasty small arms waiting to mow you down. The RoF isn't huge, and if you spread out... Wouldn't recommend it, but you might need to do something desperate if you're very short of time.

Also if you can try and get a flank on it, that will negate the shield protection and also the Flak takes ages to turn so it will give you enough time to run if it starts to.

Sounds like a good idea. I think I can attack on both flanks. That way, it will be exposed either way if it takes long to turn.

Sounds like a good idea. I think I can attack on both flanks. That way, it will be exposed either way if it takes long to turn.

Never done this to an 88mm Flak specifically, but I've taken out other Guns with a gun shield (Pak 38, PaK 40, etc.) this way and it works very well. In my experience, if you can direct a decent volume of accurate small arms fire at the gun from two vectors separated by at least 90 degrees or so, the gun goes down pretty quickly because if the gun turns to face one unit, the other unit's fire gets around the gun shield and starts to cause casualties to the crew very quickly.

Also, infantry special weapons like bazookas and rifle grenades can be very effective against guns in the right circumstances. The problem with both of these weapons you usually have to be really close to have a good chance of hitting. I have seen a rifle grenade take out an anti-tank gun at a range of about 150 meters, though.

Hmm, I think the volume of fire is the key. If you're outside of Thompson range, I think you'll find out how effective 88 HE rounds are.

These are total wags, and worth precisely how much you're paying.

300m or more: run and hide.

100-300m: it depends. The further away you are, the better the Flak will do against you.

50-100m: your infantry stand a good chance as long as they don't start right under the gun's covered arc.

Under 50m: the closer the better. If you can rain grenades on the Flak, I think the consensus is that you'll win the fight.

The problem seems to be to close from over 300 meters down to grenade range. Solve that, and the rest will take care of itself. :)

Let us know how it works out.

Ken

Also - split all your squads that will be in combat with this gun up. and spread the men out. All of your men have guns firing at the 88. The 88 has one gun firing at your men. So it can only target one group at a time. The less men in whatever group it targets - the better.

Expect an ATG Ammo bearer squad with an MG42 to be nearby...

All this is ignoring a great use for your XO team. Use the XO team to charge right at the 88. While the gun is trying to shoot your otherwise useless XO team, your riflemen can circle around it and bag 'em. Everyone wins. You get the 88, the riflemen get credit for doing the job, and everyone remembers the XO for being a standup guy when it counted, despite what he was like back stateside. Win, win, win.

:)

All this is ignoring a great use for your XO team. Use the XO team to charge right at the 88. While the gun is trying to shoot your otherwise useless XO team, your riflemen can circle around it and bag 'em. Everyone wins. You get the 88, the riflemen get credit for doing the job, and everyone remembers the XO for being a standup guy when it counted, despite what he was like back stateside. Win, win, win.

:)

Rumour has it that the next module of the game is CM:XO, with focus on the badly maligned XO team, tactically fulfilling their true potential in numerous ways. Epic.