TRPs... and bunkers. A little rant.

I'm currently playing a PBEM as axis attacker vs an allied defense.

Since the terrain is bocage country with difficult LOS I've bought a couple of TRPs to help my mortars. To my understanding TRPs are pre-registered target points for the artillery. They have been carefully plotted, all data is ready, so when the fire order comes in I'd expect accurate fire on those spots.

Now, in the 1st turn I plotted 4 mortar strikes on TRPs. 1 of them actually landed on target, the other three were all over the map. The FOs didn't have LOS to the TRPs, but I was always under the impression that the one reason to buy TRPs was to get accurate fire without LOS. Why gather all the data when the rounds would miss their targets by hundreds of meters?

:confused:

Another thing: I've encountered a concrete MG bunker. One of my Tigers started engaging the bunker from about 200m. That's not even point-blank range for the Tiger's 8,8, but after a dozen+ of direct hits the bunker and crew still seems rather happy about their situation, the war, and life in general. Shouldn't the 8,8 be able to put a round through the firing slit at that range?

PS: game is patched to latest version.

Another thing: I've encountered a concrete MG bunker. One of my Tigers started engaging the bunker from about 200m. That's not even point-blank range for the Tiger's 8,8, but after a dozen+ of direct hits the bunker and crew still seems rather happy about their situation, the war, and life in general. Shouldn't the 8,8 be able to put a round through the firing slit at that range?

PS: game is patched to latest version.

Having played Valley of Trouble numerous times I've had a Sherman spend half of its load-out on one concrete bunker. I'm guessing tank rounds do little or no damage. Or shouldn't there be some cumulative effect.

<snip>

Since the terrain is bocage country with difficult LOS I've bought a couple of TRPs to help my mortars. To my understanding TRPs are pre-registered target points for the artillery. They have been carefully plotted, all data is ready, so when the fire order comes in I'd expect accurate fire on those spots.

Now, in the 1st turn I plotted 4 mortar strikes on TRPs. 1 of them actually landed on target, the other three were all over the map. The FOs didn't have LOS to the TRPs, but I was always under the impression that the one reason to buy TRPs was to get accurate fire without LOS. Why gather all the data when the rounds would miss their targets by hundreds of meters?

<snip>

This does not match my experience with TRPs. They have been great for me. I have used them in multiple PBEM quick battles to great effect. I wonder what else is at play. What experience level are your artillery pieces? On board or off board? If on board have they moved from their initial position?

I have a theory about this. If you target a bunker with indirect fire the target type is listed as "vehicle". As we all know, guns firing at vehicles aim for center of mass. So if the game engine is treating bunkers as immobile vehicles...

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, a typical fighting bunker would not have a such gaping hole up front, so this is kind of a wash.

I saw photos once of a test the US army had run on a typical German bunker in Normandy after the fighting had moved on. They fired AT rounds of several calibers at it (37mm, 57mm, 75mm if memory serves). In short, it had no trouble resisting all of them. I think one of the larger rounds (76mm?) finally broke through, but it had survived quite a battering up until then. I don't know what 105mm HC would have done to it, but generally you needed naval 5" AP to be assured of a first round kill for those puppies.

Michael