Does the spotter need to be able to see the spotting rounds?

Hey. I was just playing the chance encounter scenario and when I call area fire on the church roof it falls 100-200m off target. Now, the spotter can see the church roof but since its an area fire order and the church yard is surrounded by a tall stone wall, he can't see the entire target area. Is this the cause of the ridiculous inaccuracy?

It almost certainly is. Have you patched up to version 1.01?

In version 1.00 observers were a bit quick calling for FFE after not spotting the initial rounds, this got tweaked as part of the patch. Haven't played enough games after patching to notice crazy inaccuracies from arty.

It almost certainly is. Have you patched up to version 1.01?

In version 1.00 observers were a bit quick calling for FFE after not spotting the initial rounds, this got tweaked as part of the patch. Haven't played enough games after patching to notice crazy inaccuracies from arty.

I am playing 1.01. Like I said, the rounds were 100-200m off instead of in the corner of the map like in 1.00.

From the v1.01 release notes:

When a forward observer cannot see where spotting rounds impact, he will usually require another round to be fired rather than skip ahead to fire-for-effect with poor accuracy.

I think this is a good adjustment to the game and certainly accentuates the challenges faced by FO's in Normandy, but I wonder how smoothly it is actually working at times.

For instance, I am playing a scenario where spotting rounds landed within a few meters of the unit being targeted for a "light/quick" fire mission. The spotter actually called "fire-for-effect" for several turns, however only single spotting rounds continued to fall in what seemed to be shaping up as a perpetual loop.

Part of me wonders if this tweak may have shifted too far in the direction of being conservative or if there is an error that causes an inadvertant loop at times. That said, I play with "Iron" FOW, which effects artillery call times so I'll keep watch as I get more playing time.

For instance, I am playing a scenario where spotting rounds landed within a few meters of the unit being targeted for a "light/quick" fire mission. The spotter actually called "fire-for-effect" for several turns, however only single spotting rounds continued to fall in what seemed to be shaping up as a perpetual loop.

to be clear, do you hear him radio for fire for effect every turn? Or did he call fire for effect once and then spotting rounds kept falling for several turns?

Light is a very low rate of fire. If it's only one or two tubes firing it can look like spotting rounds. That may be what your seeing if he only called FFE once.

You can also check in the status of the guns to see if they're spotting or firing for effect.

to be clear, do you hear him radio for fire for effect every turn?
That is correct.

Light is a very low rate of fire. If it's only one or two tubes firing it can look like spotting rounds.
You can also check in the status of the guns to see if they're spotting or firing for effect.
True, however the status of the tubes (2) never changed from "Spotting" to "Firing" and the FO kept calling for FFE each turn until I finally cancelled the mission. Also, "Light" missions will drop several rounds - I think what you are describing is "Harass."

In terms of how I thought this was supposed to work, I thought the FO would ideally prefer to see the spotting rounds but after a few rounds of "I'm trying extra hard to get this right" would declare "close enough" and call FFE. Perhaps I am mistaken or maybe there is something weird that happens time to time.

I'll pass along the file(s) if it crops up again. I noticed this about two weeks ago as I only get to play on weekends. Unfortunately, I do not keep all of my "Save Game" files and I wasn't sure if this was a bug or not.

So, if anyone else notices this as well please feel free to jump in and submit your file.

Who/what address should a future file be sent to?

in current pbem i called in tank target on a hill. next turn, my tank managed to hit it (didn't think they could see each other). so i adjusted to another area. but, on the last 'two' turns, it appears, spotting rounds are landing at the first target. the fo's target area is on the new target. (i've have saved turns).

when one cancels a mission, i don't see the reason for waiting a turn, imho...

in current pbem i called in tank target on a hill. next turn, my tank managed to hit it (didn't think they could see each other). so i adjusted to another area. but, on the last 'two' turns, it appears, spotting rounds are landing at the first target. the fo's target area is on the new target. (i've have saved turns).

when one cancels a mission, i don't see the reason for waiting a turn, imho...

Adjusting a mission before you've got it spotted can lead to interesting situations, in my experience. I don't do it any more.