Has anyone successfully added this game to steam?

Hello,

I tried to add this game to steam as a none steam game but it crashes when I try to launch it within steam. Has anyone else got this issue?

It is annoying because I use steam to talk to my friends and arrange games.

Thanks,

Kenjara

EDIT:

I got the game working in steam using run as adminstrator there is no steam overlay in game though.

This was brought up before and apparently it doesn't work because of the new DRM. I was really looking forward to using it since it works in CMSF and CMx1 but its a no-go for CMBN. Alt-tabbing is pretty stable though so you can still use the steam chat to get the game set up.

Why do people use Steam? It's awful....

Ehhhh, lets see. Unlimited downloads at any speed, amazing sales, in game overlay (friends list, cross game chat, web browser), steam cloud (syncs your saves and control preferences from one PC to another), stores your screenshots online, uses almost no CPU power, automatic updates for all games, support for indie devs and mods, great customer support etc. That's just off the top of my head.

Excuse my dumb ignorance here, but why would you need to add the game to Steam, isn't Steam a 3rd party d/l company?

When you play games through Steam (even ones you didn't buy through it), it lets you use the in-game overlay. Basically, you hit Shift+Tab and the game grays out and you can see your Steam friends list (which lets you see who is online and what they are playing) and open chat windows with them, with the options of voice chat and group chat as well. You can also use a web browser, look at screenshots you have taken (you can set whatever key you want to do this, no need for FRAPS, they are working on letting you record video with it as well), and a few other things. Another big deal is that when you start the game, everyone on your friends list will see "so-and-so is playing Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy" pop up in a little box on their desktop.

Steam basically makes for an ad hoc multiplayer lobby, a feature this game sorely lacks. However, it doesn't work with CMBN, for reasons unknown.

Why do people use Steam? It's awful....

Some games force you to use steam as a form of DRM (most noteably CIV 5).

Having it your games list is also a great way of advertising stuff not purchased via steam to your friends but alas the later iterations of CM as stated above doesn't work.

Also you can get supercheap deals for games once they get a bit old.

But steam can cause you headaches so many ways (slow downloads - Australia, games not tailored well having issues at launch, patching or installing can sometimes be a problem).

I think most steam users hit these problems sooner or later and vow never to use steam again. That has happened to me twice. :)

well every system has its flaws,

also the bad thing is that if the Steam building goes down, the whole system goes down jaja

I remember a couple of years back, a tornado damaged the steam center, and no one was able to use steam for about 3 weeks