Panic or Broken

Has anyone done some checking to get a feel for the time it takes a unit to recover from a panic state, I am sure it is likely affected by if they are near a leader and the type of troop unit and quality. but just wonder what the expected time might be.

Plus if a unit is broken, will or can it recover from that status in the game given time, again if it does, how long are we talking about approx.

Has anyone done some checking to get a feel for the time it takes a unit to recover from a panic state, I am sure it is likely affected by if they are near a leader and the type of troop unit and quality. but just wonder what the expected time might be.

Plus if a unit is broken, will or can it recover from that status in the game given time, again if it does, how long are we talking about approx.

I've yet to see a unit recover from Broken.

I had a Panther take 2 hits from some kind of AT asset in a PBEM I am in now(Still don't know what kind of AT it was,it is hiding in some heavy brush and I am currently hunting it down.)The first shot hit the left side of the Turret and killed the Tank Commander,2nd shot forced the rest of the crew to button up,it hit left side of turret also but did no real damage.

Tank became rattled and retreated like crazy,stayed rattled for 3 turns then went back to normal.Not sure if broken can come back,but rattled can recover thier wits.

I had a Stug getting shot by a M5 without much damage. The crew panicked and flew halfway across the map. It took me 15 minutes to get them back into the tank.

This tank was one of two surviving Stugs that killed the last M5 and won the battle. Sometimes cowardice pays...:)

My only serious tests on this had been with CMSF ages ago. In that game a panicked 'elite' squad almost immediately recovers. For a panicked 'geen' squad its like trying to herd cat around the map for the next ten minutes. Wasn't all that different from CMx1, really. But my tests were on CMSF infantry so take it with a grain of salt.

As to the comments, I agree with all of them as to what I have seen. broken troops still fight and are controllable, but they will panic very easily with any type of new incoming fire. I have seen panic units seem to recover at time without the broken status, but once a unit panics, there is a chance they will be broken when they recover and broken status does not change once it appears, once broken always broken for the rest of the battle.

It does not appear anyone has done any heavy testing to see if it is more definable as to what to expect.

For me so far, and this is without any testing, Tanks seem to recover better and maybe faster than infantry in general. But I have seen some infantry bounce back quickly also. so not sure, could just be a perception.

I think instead of Broken it should be changed to Brittle which to me describes their state of mind better. They'll follow orders but don't expect 100% committment to what you told them to do, as a matter of fact I don't even consider them combat capable anymore and will generally only assign them holding movements and overwatch details.

Panic is a much more temporary thing from what I have seen but your milage will vary depending on the experience of the unit. Panicked units need to be babysat because if they continue to experience whatever is making them Panic then Broken isn't far away if you are not careful.

** to clarify the Broken/Brittle comment. Broken is what they should be while they are running around willy nilly out of control but once you get them back under control I'd like to see it as Brittle. I'd also like an Enzo and not have to ever work again for the rest of my life. ;)