Tips on managing units and views?

So scrolling across the map is just not working very well for me. I watched a few video AAR's and they seem so damn elegant by comparison when managing their units and switching views.

So, how do people like to do this? Do you cycle through your units and lock their views? What is the method that would give some efficiency to the process?

Thanks,

Javaslinger

View/Unit locking and using the mouse for pan and glide. I wish for several things from the camera controls, but locks and mousey are usually adequate, reserving screen edge movement for when I've got a movement order selected and don't want to press left-mouse and drop a random waypoint.

I use the arrow keys for panning and up and down. To move side to side and forward and back I hold down the left mouse button and then move the mouse in the desired direction. The amount of movement of the mouse determines the speed and with a minimum of practice, very precise control is possible. I usually avoid putting the mouse on the edge of the screen unless I intend to go very far very fast, as that is just too powerful to be easily controlled.

Michael

...reserving screen edge movement for when I've got a movement order selected and don't want to press left-mouse and drop a random waypoint.

Instead, I just do a right-click to end the sequence, then I left-click to move the camera, finally pressing an appropriate key to get the movement or whatever kind of order I want to finish the order sequence. It really comes down to whatever method you feel most comfortable with. There are lots of ways to do things in this game.

Michael

Is there any key (like SHIFT) that would increase the speed of the camera forward motion ? Often I need to move the viewpoint to another part of map - just using the key or the mouse works, but it's little slow on greater distances.

And I would prefer I could just scroll faster (after pressing SHIFT or CTRL), and not use features like "click to move viewpoint to a point"...

Is there any key (like SHIFT) that would increase the speed of the camera forward motion ? Often I need to move the viewpoint to another part of map - just using the key or the mouse works, but it's little slow on greater distances.

And I would prefer I could just scroll faster (after pressing SHIFT or CTRL), and not use features like "click to move viewpoint to a point"...

Ctrl+left click to jump the camera off-sets the need for a "speed up" key.

Tips here are generally spot on: Ctrl+click, tab on a unit are my two most used. I use the keyboard for adjustments from there, because I just can't relearn "mouse-only" from using keyboard with every other game since 1999. It's crap, but since I do most of the important stuff with ctrl+click and tab, it's not so bad.

One tip not mentioned - I found "V" very useful. 180deg flip. That way if I'm, say, carefully playing a way point, then I mis-click and need to reselect my unit (or any number of other scenarios where the unit I need is "behind me") I hit V and click the icon, then V to swap back.

Ctrl+left click to jump the camera off-sets the need for a "speed up" key.

My problem is, I do not like this feature very much, I'm not used to it. I would prefer having also a "speed-up" key.... Why can't we have both ?

I would also like a key that would highlight the bases of all units, or at least a key that would select all my units on the map (something like ctrl+A "select all") - this way I could highlight my units. Currently if I wanted to highlight all my units (for example very usefull while watching the movement in night battles) I would have to get a view of the whole map and "retangle select" all units with a mouse... which is far from comfortable..

I don't like Ctrl-click because it puts my camera above where I click, when I'd really like it to be looking at where I click. I'd also like Tab to lock the view to where the screen is centred, if no unit is selected. And I'd like the camera pitch to retain the centring of the Unit I have locked when I roll it. It's a bloody nuisance when you want to look down on something.

My problem is, I do not like this feature very much, I'm not used to it. I would prefer having also a "speed-up" key.... Why can't we have both ?

I would also like a key that would highlight the bases of all units, or at least a key that would select all my units on the map (something like ctrl+A "select all") - this way I could highlight my units. Currently if I wanted to highlight all my units (for example very usefull while watching the movement in night battles) I would have to get a view of the whole map and "retangle select" all units with a mouse... which is far from comfortable..

doubleclick your higest squad selects all units...

I think the suggestion of <modifier key>+mouse for speedier movement is a fantastic one. I really dislike Ctl+click because it is disorienting and I usually end up overshooting where I wanted to be since the camera goes to that spot rather than looking at that spot. The option to scroll faster would be really handy. Perhaps even an option to change the scroll speed when dragging around the map.

I recomend getting a mouse with many programable buttons, and a Belkin NostromoN52. Look at it like equipment for playing a sport. If you playing golf you need clubs right? I have most of my camera stuff linked to the mouse. Most of the time I lock view via mouse, and Have camera views 1-6 linked to mouse buttons, and cycle through units via mouse buttons. The rest are tied to the N52. "Bino" zoom in/out, toggle wide/zoom view, Select prevoius unit(F12). Don't forget mouse wheel, and right, amd left fine tune panning. These reccomendations put all the controlls of the game at the finger tips, and make the game control with complete ease and efficiency.

I really like the camera - hold LMB to scroll and RMB to pan, elevate with mouse-wheel, TAB to units after clicking their icon etc. My only beef is with elevation via mouse-scrolling, it should be smoother rather than it's slightly jarring 1-2-3-4-5-6 progression.

CTRL-clicking tends to frustrate as the camera resets to a default position and disorients me, I've gotten into the habit of zooming right up into the sky first, then the scrolling-time to your desired location is much decreased.

My only beef is with elevation via mouse-scrolling, it should be smoother rather than it's slightly jarring 1-2-3-4-5-6 progression.

Another reason to get a Logitech mouse that offers SMOOTH scrolling. You will never want to go back to ratchiting mouse wheel control again..