some more rag tag SS

Well I wanted to leave the feldgrey tunics mostly intact so I created some blended wind pants, helmet covers and an unauthorized but tolerated m43 pea dot officer tunic. ......until some real SS Parka models come out.

scaled.php?server=638&filename=ssmos6.jpg&res=medium

can't see it from this angle but the officer's eagle is on the left sleeve.

ssmod2.jpg

Second, Oak leaf pattern wasn't used for pants during summer, only for winter uniforms. It's possible that a couple of guys sew themselves a pair of these, but it definitely was no official item and certainly not widsspread, if available at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to post it on Gaj for now as SS Field modified uniforms. I will be the first to admit it is a stretch but plausible. Below the low res pics is a boring micro summary of my research into Waffen SS field modified uniforms.

scaled.php?server=718&filename=posty1.jpg&res=medium

abby1ki.jpg

The mod changes the german soldiers appearance to rag tag SS field modified uniforms. The Field Grey M43 tunic now has SS Collar patches. Many soldiers wear blended oak type 1 and 2 wind pants. Spring and Fall. Or smooth cotton pea dot trousers. Officers wear a pea dot tunic with bottle green collar. One NCO wears an M43 blurred edge oak tunic. Another with no epaulets and palm trousers (rare). Since there are no parka smocks in this game I have limited the changes to trousers, helmet covers and the officer tunics, w/forge cap skull badge.

Much scouring of my books, the internet, even re-enactor forums, looking for background on uniform modifications. This is a micro summary:

Camouflage uniforms are authorized for use in some Waffen SS Divisions during the war. Smocks and trousers were present since the invasion of Poland 1939. There were regulations. All uniforms must be constructed of an approved camouflage pattern. All tunics must conform to the M-1941, or M-1943 patterns (later 44). But they were not authorized for use as a garrison dress uniform initially. Many units were issued smocks, and matching trousers for the field. However many were locally manufactured of varied quality.

The common source of material for locally manufactured camouflage were the zeltbahn field blankets. When "issue camouflage" could not be acquired, any local seamstress, tailor, or skilled haus frau were commissioned by individual soldiers to sew pants, crude smocks, and if taleted, regulation tunics for senior officers. Often the price would be a soldier's 2 day ration card while on leave, coal, or some other commodity. Zelt bahn blankets were often the first item hawked from the battlefield after the casualties were picked up, to be recycled into camo trousers.

In March 1944, A new camouflage M43 tunic and trousers made of a pea dot pattern used by the 12th SS, were authorized for garrison dress. Wyseman76 has posted an excellent 12SS mod with this pattern. The SS FMU Mod in contrast is a rag tag version of what would have been tolerated in the field.