When and why do infantry with MG's use pistols?

I've noticed this a couple of times, and I would like to know when and why this happens so that I can adjust the tactics I use. For example, I've sometimes had deployed MG team start using a pistol at an enemy 20 meters away, when it should have been turning them into a human smoothie.

Thanks

I've noticed this a couple of times, and I would like to know when and why this happens so that I can adjust the tactics I use. For example, I've sometimes had deployed MG team start using a pistol at an enemy 20 meters away, when it should have been turning them into a human smoothie.

Thanks

What sort of MG? An MG on a tripod can be hard to aim at a close enemy, particularly if they are lower. (I don't think the game models elevation limits though.)

I had a soldier toting an M1919A4 enter a building I thought was clear in the demo, and as the Germans inside fled after a couple of shots from his squadmates, he pulled his .45 and shot one of the Germans who was running away through the window.

I think that may have been the moment I decided I had to have this game.

Could it also happen if the MG jams in a desperate situation?

Also I once noticed a german squad MG42 gunner let fly with his pistol because he came to the end his 70 round drum & had no time to change it - the enemy were only yards away.

what i would like to know is why does snipers use their pistols when moving?

i mean, i can see the point if they engage targets up close (scope being in the way and all) but ive seen them engage at up to 50 meters or so, simply because they carry their sniper rifle on the back when moving.

wich seems very silly to me...

what i would like to know is why does snipers use their pistols when moving?

i mean, i can see the point if they engage targets up close (scope being in the way and all) but ive seen them engage at up to 50 meters or so, simply because they carry their sniper rifle on the back when moving.

wich seems very silly to me...

Well I have seen a variety of uses. I have a lot of snipers. I love snipers. I had a sniper on the 5th floor of a building once come down the stairs only to discover there was a US platoon HQ unit on the ground floor. As the sniper team was running down the stairs the SMG guy opened up and took out one of the HQ unit then the sniper stopped at the bottom of the stairs and took out the other guy with his sniper rifle at point blank range - must have been less than 5m. Then he followed his teammate out the door and across the street. While he was running he had his rifle over his shoulder and when he saw some US soldiers down the street from him he drew his pistol and fired away as he ran.

So, it seem to be about what is convenient. I gave the sniper team a quick move order from the top floor to the bottom floor. There was a way point on the bottom floor. Then I gave them a fast order out the door and across the street. So the SMG teammate used his SMG as he was moving down the stairs. When they paused for a moment at the ground floor way point the sniper used his rifle to finish the job. Then the both ran out the door. On the move the SMG guy fired some as he ran and the sniper drew his pistol to fire as he ran.

The OP wanted to know about an MG team using his pistol. I don't have additional insight for that except to say that they really do seem to be modeling the need to change amo magazines / belts so perhaps it really was a case of no time for a belt change because that guy is just too close.

Check out this video of a German squad member using his MP44 http://youtu.be/0ReodAFRvtw

There are real pauses when he changes mags.

I think it may have to do with reaction time.I have noticed from time to time when a guy with an MG pulls a pistol it is almost as if they were suprised and did a quick draw type of thing rather then taking the time to bring an MG to bear.

It's true. I learned this playing the Tobruk mod of Red Orchestra: if you were an Australian, the quickest way to aquire an MG42 was to fix your bayonet, take a quick loop around the town square and come from the far side to an alley where the Germans would run up to this one house that acted like a magnet for Germans with machine guns. Soon a German with a machine gun would come along, heading for the back door to his favorite house. You would step out right in front of him (much easier to hit a bayonet target that way) and he would do this dance while he looked for the pistol button: binoculars? Hat? Jump? Ah pistol! Too late! You'd eviscerate him and take his machine gun. Run down the hill, shoot off your 3 drums and acquire a an SMG and live like a King in Jerryland. All thanks to the superior speed of the Bayonet over the pistol button.