Spw250/7 & Spw251/2

@gunnulf:

Do you mean the 'Panzer Aufklärungs Battalion -> Waffen Kompanie -> Pionier Zug'? They have the 251/7 (the bridge layer) and not the 250/7.

Sorry, I have phrased the questions wrong:

Why are those not in the manual?

Why can't I buy them individually?

thanks

Thanks - found them!

Is there another way to find such things except for knowing it beforehand?

Even if its not historical IMHO its a bit silly to hide units somewhere down the tree when I could still strip the battallion and have the single unit.

(edit: deleted)

(snip)

Even if its not historical IMHO its a bit silly to hide units somewhere down the tree when I could still strip the battallion and have the single unit.

(snip)

BFC opted for this so units could be constructed realistically, from historical orders of battle, within existing chains of command. Call such attention to detail "silly" if you like but others appreciate the attention to detail.

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate very much the attention to detail. If I want to be historical everything is there in the right place. But if I don't - then it would be nice if I could easily chose from the whole array of units. Not show some and hide others.

Part of the issue here is that the game needs to "know" where a unit fits into the overall command structure for C2 modeling purposes, which is especially important for indirect fire units like mortars.

Given the new, more complex C2 modeling, it just doesn't work for a player to just pick a unit or two out of the blue, without putting this in the context of a certain TOE. The game has to know who the unit is taking its orders from, etc., so it can do things like pass spotting info and support requests to the unit.

So, we get the admittedly initially counter intuitive process of selecting the superior formation, and then winnowing down to the units we want -- this way, the game knows who is connected to whom in the C2 sense, and how closely.

Weren't these mortars inside the halftracks? I guess that is how BFC modeled them? Are we going to are mortars inside the track or no?

IIRC and understand your question, no we won't be able to fire mortars from inside HT's.

I remember someone explaining the didn't fire from the HT as standard procedure, the mortar crew dismounted, tho dont quote me on that as I have no idea either way.

Part of the issue here is that the game needs to "know" where a unit fits into the overall command structure for C2 modeling purposes, which is especially important for indirect fire units like mortars.

Given the new, more complex C2 modeling, it just doesn't work for a player to just pick a unit or two out of the blue, without putting this in the context of a certain TOE. The game has to know who the unit is taking its orders from, etc., so it can do things like pass spotting info and support requests to the unit.

So, we get the admittedly initially counter intuitive process of selecting the superior formation, and then winnowing down to the units we want -- this way, the game knows who is connected to whom in the C2 sense, and how closely.

The same is true though of 'Individual' mortar teams and they get slotted into the TO where you choose. I think there has to be something special about mortar tracks.

I remember someone explaining the didn't fire from the HT as standard procedure, the mortar crew dismounted, tho dont quote me on that as I have no idea either way.

Sorry for quoting you, but that is false. They normally fired from inside the track...or at least the American ones did, haven't checked on the Germans lately. IIRC Steve said that at present they can't do that due to a limitation in the game code that he hopes will be rectified soon.

Michael