Dog Red, Easy Green, 1/2 Easy Red

permanent666, What a lot of work you must have put intothis! I can't wait to hit the beach tonight...plus, I'll be hitting Anzio as well (sdp just released his Italian Mod). A great weekend ahead!

P.S., no one has commented on it, but I reversed the 29th patch by accident. You have to flip and mirror it before you place it onto the uniform bmp...I forgot to mirror it. Anyhoo, I'll fix that (and re-do all the patches soon) using EZ's uniform/face mods that he released to the community last week.

Hey Permanent -- Now that you've re-created these D-Day beaches in all their historically accurate detail, can you share any tips for making good beach/coastal maps?

(hoarding tips and ideas for my eventual "Green Beach" Dieppe 1942 map when we have the Canadians and British troops in the next module).

@broadsword56

i guess we have to wait for some player's feedback before i can post any tipps here.

i for me don't think i will create a beachmap again. it costs way to much time and the result gameplaywise is a bit underwhelming.

i'm not a fan of micromanaging - so for me playing this map feels more like work than a game.

maybe a good tipp would be to reduce the number of attackers and defenders even though this would mean that the historical accurancy would suffer.

another issue is the mapsize. i don't think it would be fun to play a narrow beachmap and try to storm the front. there has to be room to maneuver and maybe more than one way for the player which leads to victory. on the other hand big maps would need an ai that can react on players actions.

during playtesting i found out that the number one killer at beach maps is artillery and mortar fire. at the moment all mortars were taken out or ran out of ammo (which happens very fast because of the triggar happy mortar crews) there is not much resistance left. but endless mortar ammo and artillery means frustration for the player.

so you have to balance this aspect very well.

concrete bunkers are almost impossible to take out from distance for infantry and even wooden pillboxes pose a challenge. so don't spam them all over the beach. + wooden shelters are a great alternative for trenches with overhead protection.

one of the hardest part during playtesting were the tanks. due to the lack of at bunkers at guns are very easy to spot for the tanks and vulnerable to artillery. so there was a great variety of surviving tanks when the first soldiers hit the beach. (between 0 and 4 out of 9)

and there is not very much a player could do to influence the outcome. so the mission will play different each time depending on the number of surviving tanks. so make sure that tanks will not throw the scenario off balance.

so this is it

i hope at least some people enjoy playing this map - it would be nice to see some screenshots and reports!

and please feel free to rework this scenario and the map or use it for your own missions and campaigns