Preplanned arty and spotting rounds

Hi all,

I've noticed that when you're ordering preplanned artillery strikes, the delay is listed as <1min, regardless of whether you have any TRPs near the target. This leads me to believe that the preplanned strikes will be preregistered on their target, and will begin immediately at the start of the scenario. Right?

Well...not quite. I've found that preplanned strikes in the game result in spotting beginning immediately, with the actual strike taking place a few minutes later. In order to have the strike start immediately, you have to have a TRP near the strike area.

I can understand this, since the absence of TRPs implies that the strikes are not, in fact, preregistered. However, the game interface implies that the delay will be <1min from the start of the scenario, which is false. I'd suggest changing that to reflect the actual delay involved for preplanned strikes.

Also, I noticed that, if ordering a preplanned linear strike, you only need a TRP near the first endpoint of the line, in order for the strike to begin immediately. Not that I'm complaining. :D

Hi all,

I've noticed that when you're ordering preplanned artillery strikes, the delay is listed as <1min, regardless of whether you have any TRPs near the target. This leads me to believe that the preplanned strikes will be preregistered on their target, and will begin immediately at the start of the scenario. Right?

Well...not quite. I've found that preplanned strikes in the game result in spotting beginning immediately, with the actual strike taking place a few minutes later. In order to have the strike start immediately, you have to have a TRP near the strike area.

I can understand this, since the absence of TRPs implies that the strikes are not, in fact, preregistered. However, the game interface implies that the delay will be <1min from the start of the scenario, which is false. I'd suggest changing that to reflect the actual delay involved for preplanned strikes.

Also, I noticed that, if ordering a preplanned linear strike, you only need a TRP near the first endpoint of the line, in order for the strike to begin immediately. Not that I'm complaining. :D

Pre-planned (setup phase) missions have no spotting phase and begin on turn one, unless the player orders a delayed start. The only delay is the time of flight.

If you are seeing otherwise, you have either encountered a bug or a describing something other than a pre-planned mission.

Michael, you can request a 5, 10, or 15 minute delay for a pre-planned mission.

Yes, spotting rounds for mortars occur for pre-planned barrage with immediate delivery. Ran into this last night in fact with about 6 60mm on board mortars, 2 81mm on board mortars. There was also a 75mm pack off board, but I can't sit here and say for certain whether it utilized spotting rounds. Judging from the varying accuracy, it appears the spotter must be able to see these pre-planned spotting rounds as well in order to ensure accurate fire.

Yes, spotting rounds for mortars occur for pre-planned barrage with immediate delivery. Ran into this last night in fact with about 6 60mm on board mortars, 2 81mm on board mortars. There was also a 75mm pack off board, but I can't sit here and say for certain whether it utilized spotting rounds. Judging from the varying accuracy, it appears the spotter must be able to see these pre-planned spotting rounds as well in order to ensure accurate fire.

Did you plot a linear barrage for your off map mortars? If so there is an acknowledged problem that the first n rounds will land just about anywhere, before starting to hit the desired target area. Point and area fires should work as per spec - accurate, immediate delivery (save flight time) and no spoting rounds.

The pre-planned linear mission problem where the first few rounds of FFE are fired way off-target is a consistent, separate bug. This appears to be an inconsistent bug. I was able to reproduce with the on-map 60mm mortars in "A Delaying Action" but not with the on-map 60mm mortar in "1 Training - Roadblock".

Does anyone have a save of this happening with an off-map asset? I am not able to reproduce that.

akd, all on board plots were linear. The pack 75 off board was area. As I said, I can't say for certain spotting rounds were used in that off board mission. I can say for certain it was waaaaay off target.

[Edited to include the following:] I generally always save when I get first orders and setup established to my liking. When I get home, I'll see if I saved that setup. Its in a campaign "Road to Montebourg". Don't know if that makes a difference or not as to the usefulness of the save file.

akd, all on board plots were linear. The pack 75 off board was area. As I said, I can't say for certain spotting rounds were used in that off board mission. I can say for certain it was waaaaay off target.

[Edited to include the following:] I generally always save when I get first orders and setup established to my liking. When I get home, I'll see if I saved that setup. Its in a campaign "Road to Montebourg". Don't know if that makes a difference or not as to the usefulness of the save file.

Not sure about the 75s, but pre-planned on-map linear missions are all affected by a different bug I have already reported. This going into spotting instead of FFE at mission start issue is separate, apparently occasional problem. If you have a save and it is small enough to send by e-mail, PM me and I'll try to see what is going on with those 75s.

This is not about preplanned but just arty/mortar support. I'm having no problems generally in the set up scenarios but in "QB's" I'm having a devil of a time.

My Forward Observers start out OK but continually get surpressed or shaky as soon as the bullets fly. Suddenly a set up mission is lost.

Should I put them in "hide" after setting up the strike or what ? Any hints welcomed. I was 2 tours in Vietnam (but not in the calling in fire business) and don't recall missions scrubbed while under intense enemy rocket attack as long as radio contanct remained and even then if called in it was delivered (I think).

Well, that didn't take long. Started next mission with same spotting rounds for area target, on and off board, wildly inaccurate. Where do you want the file sent?

I have seen this happen too. I just hadn't bothered to complain yet.

Sometimes the rounds don't start falling immediately and it goes through spotting phase. Their is no long delay but you do go throw the stock standard spotting procedure which invariably leads to off target arty cause you simply never have LOS to the spotting rounds.

I tried to duplicate it sometimes by restarting scenarios but it is inconsistent.