You win. I'll stop posting.

Sig material there, classic (and classy) stuff Vanir! :D

Perhaps but wildly inaccurate. If sitting down in Wyoming the antipodal point is somewhere in the middle of the Southern Ocean well of the Western Australian coast and far from our general direction.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you be proud of what this country has become ?, I served in our armed forces, I was prepeared to give the ultimate sacrifice for my country, not now, not a chance, all I care about now is my family and the kind of life my children will have in this multicultural country, were the people we are letting in hate our guts.

Government entities all over the Western world, elected or not, are have been, for many years ,in the process of replacing their traditional populations via mass immigration. Great Britain being, perhaps, the most egregious example. But I hesitate to offer my theories why on this forum.

were the people we are letting in hate our guts.

Which has been the case for the last 200 years as a minimum and probably as much as 30,000 years.

We should be proud of our multiculturalism it's one of the things that makes us a strong country, conspiracy theories on government traditional population replacement not with standing.

My head hurts trying to follow this thread :) Are we still talking about how hard CMBN is or have we morphed to whose country has the biggest/best twig and berries?

In regards to the "winningness" of the game, I'm downright horrible at it but I really enjoy the feeling that I've used good tactics no matter what the outcome. Kind of a zen thing I know, but it is in the doing that I find the enjoyment.

Which has been the case for the last 200 years as a minimum and probably as much as 30,000 years.

Not at this rate. And not with populations openly hostile to the prevailing culture. Remember the melting pot?

We should be proud of our multiculturalism it's one of the things that makes us a strong country, conspiracy theories on government traditional population replacement not with standing.

Why is multiculturalism or diversity a good thing in itself? Not being provocative, just curious.

Perhaps but wildly inaccurate. If sitting down in Wyoming the antipodal point is somewhere in the middle of the Southern Ocean well of the Western Australian coast and far from our general direction.

His buttocks are not symmetrical which causes an angle of fire.

Not at this rate. And not with populations openly hostile to the prevailing culture. Remember the melting pot?

The rate of immigration now is less than immediately post war.

The arrival of Europeans in 1788 was perhaps the most hostile and each subsequent wave of new comers has generated its own level of resentment at least a high as it is today.

Why is multiculturalism or diversity a good thing in itself? Not being provocative, just curious.

Diversity is always a good thing, peoples from different cultures bring different points of view and experience which is an antidote to dogma, nationalism , parochialism and Xenophobia.

In a cynical sense it is a good defence as well, why would a country bomb us if in doing so they would kill many of our people of the same ethnicity.

It disturbs me that you are so familiar with his buttocks.

A little know friendly fire incident. He leaned over to put paper in the printer and accidentally hit San Jose. Homeland security had to investigate. Those costs were then passed on by charging Australia to import. See it all ties together.

More interesting food. Being from Philadelphia originally I can attest to Hoagies, Cheesesteaks, Scrapple (yes I like scrapple, for those of you unfamiliar, it is what isn't good enough to put into sausage ground to a mush, mixed with cornmeal. sliced thinly and pan fried). As it is I can in walking distance eat Thai, Chinese, Salvadoran, Peruvian, Italian, Japanese etc etc. All the rest of the reasoning is just fluff, it's all about the food... and the beer.

More interesting food. As it is I can in walking distance eat Thai, Chinese, Salvadoran, Peruvian, Italian, Japanese etc etc. All the rest of the reasoning is just fluff, it's all about the food... and the beer.

Can't argue there. When,as was a kid, I visited Britain in the 70s. The only interesting food was found in the Indian hole-in-the-walls. Though Simpson's wasn't bad. I've heard the fare has improved since, possibly due to the civilizing effects of the Chunnel.

I get offended when people say "I have just insulted your country and I am going to keep insulting your country" and I get offended when people say that my pride in my country is misplaced.

I get offended when people make mountains out of molehills because they're too easily offended.

In no way, no how, did I insult Australia or it's people. I know this for a FACT because I'm the one that wrote what I wrote and I know damned well what I think of Australia and it's people. And it's nothing negative. I'm actually quite pissed off that you're characterizing me this way because it's about as opposite from the truth as it can get.

Did you know that the first employee of Battlefront is an Australian living in Australia? And he still works for us some 11 years later?

I know I should be big enough not to be affected by the opinions of others, but I am.

No, you should be big enough to know that it is entirely possible that you're being oversensitive and reading into things stuff that isn't there. Because I have no beef with Australia or its people, I can say for sure you are boxing shadows.

I actually agree that Australia Post (and Telstra) should not have been privatised. The reason I felt offended by Steve's post was the context of his suggestion that Australian Post should not have been privatised.

I don't give a flying fig if Australian Post is privatized or not. I also don't know enough about it to really hold an opinion.

• I am annoyed at Australia for levying a Homeland Security fee
  • I don't care that the fee was levied by Australia Post I am still annoyed at Australia
  • I am now going to insulting Australia by unfavourably comparing it to the USA
  • Australia is not a country worthy of national pride

If that is what you REALLY read in my post, I am going to suggest you not participate in any Internet discussion Forum for your own sake. Because if you can read THAT into what I said... wow. Talk about inventing reality.

And I suppose you'll be offended by that. But listen, you have completely mischaracterized, misquoted, and made presumptions about my character based on a near paranoid view of your national identity that now I have to deal with this instead of doing something productive with my time.

So let me make this VERY clear to you and hopefully you will learn something from this experience. Here is what I wrote, broken down into simplistic terms:

1. I am annoyed that a country (which in this case happens to be Australia) is imposing a significant flat fee on packages going to my country (which in this case happens to be the United States). No other country that ships packages to my country imposes such a fee. As a result I think the fee is BS.

That's it, plain and simple. I don't care about anything else in this context. Australia could be ruled by Communist roos with mohawk haircuts, or jackbooted koalas with strongly colored armbands and oddly satisfying marching music for all I care. There's a fee that being assessed that I think is BS and that's the only thing I am commenting on.

Plus, I think it's rather funny that you gave me such guff for complaining about this fee and then I find out that Australian Post is being investigated for widespread price gauging claims. And not by foreign Australia hate mongors like myself, but by Australians who presumably love their country. Seems my annoyance is quite justified.

My country is not perfect. I welcome any rational and objective criticism of the shortcomings of my country. But I am still proud of it and I find it hard to tolerate deliberate and premeditated insults of Australia.

Which is fine if Australia was insulted. Which it wasn't.

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to demand an apology from you for attacking my character over something which is absolutely a figment of your overly sensitive imagination IF this is the last I hear of this utter tosh. If I see you dragging your baggage around and swinging at me again, I'll boot you from being able to post here. Just as I would if you were targeting someone else with the same nonsense.

Steve

I fart in Australia's general direction.

No, really, I do. Unless I'm standing up, then I try to blast Canada.

I'm glad you brought up Canada. With all this nonsense of me hating Australia, I would like to point out that I really hate Canada. I mean, it used to be that I could drive a mere 4 hours and stare at some of the most beautiful women on the planet while sipping the best beer and staying the whole week for a couple hundred US Dollars. Now the Canadian Dollar stands at $1.03, domestic inflation has made the average pint in the tourist areas cost $7.50, and to make sure the hotels don't suffer in this off economy they've outlawed cost effective house rentals to be less than 30 days. Thus making my previous 10 day vacations on the cheap rival the costs of going to the Caribbean.

So yeah, if you guys on this Forum want to see my ire up about another nation, I say "Blame Canada" even if they didn't kill all the Baldwins. Reference this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAYMJnO9LBQ

The preceding message has been brought to you by Sarcastic Steve who still spends more time in Quebec than any other place on Earth other than his own home. After all, the beer and the housing might be outrageously expensive now, but the women are still just as beautiful and ogling is still free unless. Unless his wife notices. Then there's a cost which involves some heated words, a couch for the night, and a long, quiet ride home.

Oh yeah, and...

:D

Steve

I'm glad you brought up Canada. With all this nonsense of me hating Australia, I would like to point out that I really hate Canada. I mean, it used to be that I could drive a mere 4 hours and stare at some of the most beautiful women on the planet while sipping the best beer and staying the whole week for a couple hundred US Dollars. Now the Canadian Dollar stands at $1.03, domestic inflation has made the average pint in the tourist areas cost $7.50, and to make sure the hotels don't suffer in this off economy they've outlawed cost effective house rentals to be less than 30 days. Thus making my previous 10 day vacations on the cheap rival the costs of going to the Caribbean.

So yeah, if you guys on this Forum want to see my ire up about another nation, I say "Blame Canada" even if they didn't kill all the Baldwins. Reference this video::D

Steve

Dear Sirs

As a Canadian I am fed up with all the misinformation and haters that abound on this site. Just to set the record straight: we no longer put our grandmothers on ice floes as an alternative to Canada Pension (well, okay they do in Newfoundland but you have to remember they joined us quite recently). As for the cost of everything going up, just remember you used to make fun of our multicoloured banknotes: had a look at yours recently? Now who looks like Monopoly money, and you still don't have any loons on your coins!

I have to go: a Polar bear is attacking the sled dogs, so I have to send smoke signals for the Mounties

I am annoyed that a country (which in this case happens to be Australia) is imposing a significant flat fee on packages going to my country (which in this case happens to be the United States). No other country that ships packages to my country imposes such a fee. As a result I think the fee is BS.

I think the point of contention is that Australia didn't impose the tax, Australia Post did.

It's like me getting stroppy about "America" losing my parcel that was sent through FedEx. As previously said in the other thread the fee was added because in Oz there is a culture where a price rise is "un-Australian" but a levy is acceptable.

BTW I've not seen anything that I would take umbrage from Steve and I am more umbragable than most.

Now if I was Canadian .......

As a Canadian I am fed up with all the misinformation and haters that abound on this site. Just to set the record straight: we no longer put our grandmothers on ice floes as an alternative to Canada Pension (well, okay they do in Newfoundland but you have to remember they joined us quite recently).

Great, now I suppose you want me to believe that all of those Newfie jokes aren't real either? C'mon... who are you kidding?

As for the cost of everything going up, just remember you used to make fun of our multicoloured banknotes:

I for one never made fun of the Loonie. I LOVED the Loonie (well, at least back when it was worth something like $2.45 USD!). Nope, if I want to make fun of a currency's color it will be the old Dutch Gilder. Any currency deliberately made so bright that you can see it in the densest smoke filled hash bar has got to be made fun of. Er... someone told me about that, BTW. Plus, any currency that contains a coin so small that tweezers are needed to pick one up is a daft currency. At least Canadian coins used to be good for getting stuff out of vending machines cheaper than using US coins. Well, until the vending machine companies figured that out and adjusted the weight tolerances. Not that it matters now.

I have to go: a Polar bear is attacking the sled dogs, so I have to send smoke signals for the Mounties

Don't you just fight them off with your seal pup club?

Back to more serious matters.

I think the point of contention is that Australia didn't impose the tax, Australia Post did.

At first I did not know Australia Post was privatized. Few countries have completely spun off their postal services. Probably for good reason, IMHO.

Still, Australia Post is not above the laws of Australia, I presume. In the US, at least, fraudulent justification for fees is a potential criminal act. I'm not saying Australia Post is necessarily committing fraud, however it appears more than a few Australians are of that opinion.

Regardless, the Australian government has the capability of regulating behaviors of the Free Market when it's citizens feel they need protection/relief from undesirable and unfair corporate practices. Here in the US Congress *finally* acted to reign in credit card and bank fees that were harming consumers and taking advantage of collusion between the big players in the industry. I don't know if this particular fee rises to this level or not, but if it does then it's the Australian government's responsibility to address the matter if the courts don't do it first.

It's like me getting stroppy about "America" losing my parcel that was sent through FedEx.

Bad analogy. If FedEx's standard practice was to lose every package it handled, and not refund you for your loss, then you'd have a right to be peeved at the US Government for not doing something about it. When UPS crushed a PC of mine that was packaged in a licensed UPS store I did not blame the US Government. Or Australia for that matter.

As previously said in the other thread the fee was added because in Oz there is a culture where a price rise is "un-Australian" but a levy is acceptable.

I have no problem with this cultural approach. In fact, I am a big fan of having customers pay for the services they use proportional to their cost. Which is why I call "BS" on this flat fee. You can not make an argument that would convince me that a 500g package costs just as much to get through US Homeland Security as a 20kg box. Yet the charge imposed by Australia Post is identical. This means people who are sending small boxes, which are presumably the majority of packages sent, are getting hammered in order to (theoretically) pay for the people sending bigger boxes. Very often, however, it turns out that the company makes a "profit" off the fee system because rarely does this sort of volume dependent structure come out zero sum in the end.

BTW I've not seen anything that I would take umbrage from Steve and I am more umbragable than most.

Thank you. It should always be possible to question something within a country without having everything else imaginable enter into the equation. "Patriotism" should never be used as a weapon against criticism, otherwise we might as well live in a 3rd world dictatorship where the Party Line is the only acceptable one to espouse.

Now if I was Canadian .......

Well, you're not. Fortunately for you your criminal ancestors were banished to Oz instead of Canada.

Heh... sorry, couldn't resist :D

Steve

Diversity is always a good thing, peoples from different cultures bring different points of view and experience.

The problem with these so called different points of view is that each culture in the nation thinks that their point of view should be adopted, a classic example is the Muslims wanting us to adopt sharia law.

What you say may happen in an ideal world, but most of us live in reality, the majority of immigrants coming out here just add to the welfare burden, and it's hard for them to share their point of view or experiences with us when many of them cannot even speak our language.

The problem with these so called different points of view is that each culture in the nation thinks that their point of view should be adopted, a classic example is the Muslims wanting us to adopt sharia law.

What you say may happen in an ideal world, but most of us live in reality, the majority of immigrants coming out here just add to the welfare burden, and it's hard for them to share their point of view or experiences with us when many of them cannot even speak our language.

I'm curious to hear your sources for the fact that Muslims want you to adopt Sharia law. All of them? Also for the comments that immigrants coming to your country add to the welfare burden; how many do go on welfare, do you have figures? By the way, how many immigrants, percentage wise, cannot speak English when they arrive? And after a year?

Do you have actual data for these comments or are you simply repeating things you have heard on TV or other people say?

I mean no disrespect, every country has its problems, but one problem that they share in common is people making generalized assumptions based upon rumor, gossip and political propaganda. :)

If you are not inclined to answer it would probably help this thread get back on track to the issue of perceived problems playing CM:N.

Diversity is always a good thing, peoples from different cultures bring different points of view and experience which is an antidote to dogma, nationalism , parochialism and Xenophobia.

Magpie Oz

I think there is a certain illogicality here, there is no mention of numbers, time frame, and imbalance. And to say diversity is always a good thing is, well, Anyhting that includes a definitive always is, I find, almost always wrong.

There is research that shows people are nervous of strangers, and in this I mean colour/racial traits. This is not prejudice in the sense of a conscious act it is a very fundamental part of human wiring rather like instinctive reactions to snakes and spiders. Once you learn better it is not such a problem.

On a more conscious level there is the not surprising thought that the more people that come into your area the more likely there will be pressure for work, food and shelter. Very high in mankinds priority of needs.

For rich folk in London the effects in Rochdale or any other town where a high number of immigrants settle are of little interest and of no importance. And I have no doubt the same applies amongst the elites of any country. They do not mix with the common people to any great extent and have the ability to move if they wish. Though politicians will appreciate the voting possibilities for most people change is not actually that welcome. We are simple animals.

I am a fan of diversity but it has to occur at a speed where the incumbent population is not too stressed and that the incomers can be assimilated reasonably into the host countries ethos.

To be fair if I were an Australian mining corporation big-wig faced with serious manpower shortages I would be leaning heavily on the Government/politicians to relax any quotas - or at least enforce laxly what is in place. But then I would also be wealthy and living in an area far too expensive for an immigrant to afford. : )

Nope, if I want to make fun of a currency's color it will be the old Dutch Gilder. Any currency deliberately made so bright that you can see it in the densest smoke filled hash bar has got to be made fun of. Er... someone told me about that, BTW. Plus, any currency that contains a coin so small that tweezers are needed to pick one up is a daft currency.

Oh no you didn't!

fbRIE.jpg

Tell me those beautiful banknotes not got slagged off by a fat fingered Yank who wouldn't know a good looking currency if China went and introduced one to the USA.

zr2n2.jpg

*yawn*

And that is after the re-design to make the notes less dull and same-y. Come on now!

No sir, the only thing wrong with the Dutch banknote is that we got rid of them so we could join in a monetary union with those delightful Greeks!