Indestructible Tiger Optics

Siffo did some testing that indicated Tiger optics continued to function after being destroyed. But the thread got no traction and there was no follow up. So I ran my own battery of tests.

First up is a Panther D. Range 1500m. After the optics are knocked out the opposing Sherman is lost from sight, replaced by an icon. I then move a previously unspotted Sherman into view. In some iterations the Panther will spot this new tank while it is moving and then lose sight of it when it stops. In others it never sees it at all. In all cases that I saw the Panther does not regain sight of either tank thereafter, the icons gradually fading as the turns wear on.

cmnormandy2011061403181.png

Next, the Tiger I mid. It sees the new tank move into view about 9/10 times. Both it and the previously spotted Sherman will pop in and out of view for a few turns, but eventually they will both stay spotted permanently. Or at least for a long time.

cmnormandy2011061403143.png

https://rapidshare.com/files/2179265413/optics_tiger_1_mid.bts

https://rapidshare.com/files/2020579540/optics_panther_d.bts

thanks alot vanir for pulling back some attraction to this theme.

I remained quiet because i not wanted to be again that bugger that brings up a new topic every day... but theres really something strange about it... the jagdpanzer IV optics also reacted in a correct way or at least in a way you would him expect to in that situation but ther tiger... seems to have indestructible optics or their are some evidences (we not know of...:) ) that those 88 optics were better to aim with even when they were cracked....

actually there is not a single note to what excatly this optics damage referrs. could be the gunner optics or the tc optics or both. but from what i`ve seen from other tanks (excluding the tiger) i would say that this optics damage referrs to all optics (tc, gunner etc.)

the only difference is the tiger: i`ve already pointed out in my thread about this theme that a tiger during my testing session could not only see the enemy tanks but took out 3 shermans with 5 shots out of 1000m distance while his optics were totally gone. a jagpanzer IV with wich i repeated the test could not even see the targets at all after his optics were gone (like it should be, at least at 1000m distance).

Is it possible that the optics damage indicates the main gun optics? And it's not the only point where people inside a tank can see what happens in the outside.
I'm fairly sure that "optics" only means main gun optics. Crew should still be able to spot using view slits and cupola. However, we're talking a distance of 1500m in this test. At that sort of range, even a tank is visually very small. It seems unlikely that someone would be able to see a stationary vehicle at that distance without binoculars or some sort of magnification. I highly doubt that the crew of a tank with damaged optics would be able to spot an enemy vehicle at that sort of range without unbuttoning and spotting with binoculars.

I've got a weird idea about this.

I think the problem is you're testing the Panther D. Pather D model does not have a roof-mounted loader's periscope. Panther A, G and the Tiger does (do?). You break the commander's & gunner's optics on the D and that's it. You break commander's & gunner's optics on Tiger and the loader will still be able to provide updates.

That's my theory anyway. :)

I've got a weird idea about this.

I think the problem is you're testing the Panther D. Pather D model does not have a roof-mounted loader's periscope. Panther A, G and the Tiger does (do?). You break the commander's & gunner's optics on the D and that's it. You break commander's & gunner's optics on Tiger and the loader will still be able to provide updates.

That's my theory anyway. :)

Then why does it say that the optics are completely broken?

Tiger's got periscopes, direct vision slits, binocular gunner's sights, armored shutters for the driver that can be closed & opened... all totalled some fourteen different ways to see out of the tank by my count. The game covers optics damage with a green box, a small brown X and a big red X. In CMSF its literally impossibly to fully knock out an Abrams' or Challender II's optics due to built-in redundancy-on-redundancy. Big red X not withstanding.

still it does not explain why the tiger was able to kill 3 shermans with 5 shots at 1000m when the gunners optics are gone or at least i read it like that (red X to optics means all optics are gone or am i wrong). even if the driver still could spot through his shutters, there is no more magnification so how would the gunner aim at 1000m ? also other tanks would have also the ability to still spot targets through the drivers vision slit but after there optics were gone all enemys turned to an "?" which seems much more reasonable than still spotting targets at 1000m + ranges when the optics with magnification are dead (or should be dead according to the damage report)

still it does not explain why the tiger was able to kill 3 shermans with 5 shots at 1000m when the gunners optics are gone

The first post in this thread details a Tiger spotting targets at 1500 meters without optics. That's a long, long way off to see something without magnification. Especially given that a Panther tested in the exact same circumstances can't see the targets.

If we're to believe that the Tigers spotting targets at 1500 meters, and killing targets at 1000 meters - all without the aid of optics - is simply because they're looking through vision slits and periscopes.... then why can't the Panther do the same?

@mikeyD: there seems to be something right about your statement... i`ve tested the situation with a panther G early and the moment its optics went down (red X) he could still spot the 2 m10 1100 m away from him (just like the tiger)... but i havent tested the ability to aim and hit those m10 without the optics. maybe tommorrow...

:)