A tribute to Pete Wenman

OK, so I'm idly looking through the maps of various scenarios, hoping for inspiration for a new couple of Byte Battles (Yea, folks, the ol' Byte Battler is about to fling its doors open again).

I note that most maps feel a little... contrived... (so do my own maps, no disrespect for the brave chaps who made the scenarios).

Until you come to the work of Pete Wenman, these maps (Brecourt Manor and Crossroads at Montardrou among others) are absolutely stunning! Not only are they extremely pretty but they somehow feel right.

My hat off to you, Sir!

So if you're fiddling around with the map editor, wondering what it can do; have a look at these maps.

The only problem is that these maps gives me an inferiority complex; personally I'm now planning a Byte Battle that takes place on a golf course... a very flat golf course... a very flat featureless golf course...

-Derfel

Hi,

Pete Wenman does build great maps. These artistic types have a touch I certainly cannot equal.

When it comes to a “contrived look...” the solution for most is to take as their template a real topographical map. For the contours, hedges, built up areas and such. People always think they can “imagine...” terrain. But most of us struggle with that.

CM maps taken from real topographical maps nearly always look “real...”.

We are lucky to have CM...

All the best,

Kip.

A few bunkers always liven them up.

Craven: How was the golf?

Jedburgh: Well, bodies kept turning up in the bunkers, and you need air support to play out of the rough. Kind of puts you off your game.

Pete has been the 'map maestro' for a long, long time. He produced two of the most beautiful QB maps for CMSF that I'd ever seen. I have always been inspired by Pete's maps. They are always of exquisite quality. And his talent doesn't stop with maps either. Part of his contribution to the WW2 title is present on most of our maps ;)

Hopefully, we'll see a lot more work from him in the future.

You know when I saw that thread title I thought someone had died. Didn't remember anyone named Peter Wenman in BoB or anywhere else (yeah I didn't that far into CMSF, though I was working up to it).

Anyway Peter, glad to hear you are alive and I assume well and can keep cranking out maps. Now I have to go play on some of those to truly appreciate this thread.

Cheers guys, and yes I'm alive and well.

Brecourt, and Monthardrou are both taken from goggle earth and as close to that as I can make them, which is probably why they work, but I'm glad you like them regardless.

The St Jean de Daye mission in the German campaign is mine as well, but it's hard work to get there.;)

I've a couple of maps on the go, but life is busy.

P