QB AI Plan Question on use of Groups

I'm trying to figure out the use of groups in an AI plan when creating a quick battle. It would be great to utilize infantry, artillery (AT) and armor in separate plans, but I'm not sure this is possible for QB play.

Any advice/tips on creating plans that use multiple attack avenues or keeping some of a force on defense and other parts on offense for QBs?

From what I have gathered, the best way to script QB map Plans is two groups with very few broad orders and zones.

There is no way to tell what the AI will buy, or how it will divide it forces, so just let it have its head and see how it goes.

I'm finding that out the hard way, Sarge. I have a med-large QB map in process, but I had an average of 4-5 groups and 3-4 orders for each. Depending on what the AI (or human) buys, it can get a little silly at times. Back to the drawing board.

+1 to the point regarding "broad zones" for a single AI Group. The destination each unit will move to in each order is chosen randomly, so if your zones are set up as "phase lines", you're going to get a lot of units moving laterally across the front, exposing themselves to enemy fire much more than they have to.

You're better off setting up "clusters" of destinations, some squares based on good cover and others based on good fields of fire. Or if you must use phase lines, have the units come together in one order then move apart the next. Of course, that creates nice concentrated targets for artillery so you do not want them to cluster for very long.

I've personally never had good results (in CMSF) from combining infantry and AFVs in a single AI Group. YMMV.

I have also been playing around with a home made QB map.

Maybe I misunderstood the manual but I assumed the AI only used one Group in its Battle Plan. I will have to investigate unless someone knows for sure....

Generally the AI produces reasonable battles, though I have yet to fully understand the logic it uses regarding the support fire zones.

(Not related to map making but weakening the AI controlled battles is that the Axis seems to always lead attack/advances with its half tracks which do not survive very long. It also will send unsupported (By infantry) "Stugs" forward (to where even turreted tanks fear to tread) to try and occupy pre ordained zones controlled by opposing infantry with no regard to the anti Tank threat.)

Regarding the Editor; I wish for the ability to copy paste whole sections that I nave laboriously made only to find that they would be better placed elsewhere.

David

The Master of QBs, Mark Ezra, Recommended, "two Groups and check out the scripts used in QBs released with game." :rolleyes:

I usually mix up the orders and use only advance. I use a lot of "L" Shape zones or "T" shape zones.

Recently AXIS AI has been choosing a lot of infantry an One Panther or Tiger. Before in three scenarios a lot of recon vehicles.

Still testing points for tiny, small, medium, large, and huge.

any help with this test I will be greatful. :D

This is important to know so you have a workable map for unit sizes that will be picked.

Thanks for all of your input,