Buildings graphic glitch?

I was just fiddling around with modding a building or two when I noticed this strange sight:

Normandybuilding.png

I used a solid wall texture, but there are outlines of the original windows showing through. Is this a bug or am I limited to using the exact placement and size of the original windows and doors?

I'll be damned, it's Ed! Boy, it's good to see you back! You know, I really missed you around here lately. Hope you're doing well?

And you've even have the courage to take up building modding! Mister, you're a better man than I. I took one long look at them and felt so daunted by the task I wasn't even about to try. Looking forward to your work. And if you need me for testing your work, just holler, okay.

Oh oh oh! A word to the wise from the original texture artist.

You might want to try reskinning any other indi building besides that first building 000. Every other building will cooperate with you on the project, that particular building will fight you. Especially around the windows. That first building 000 will cooperate with you 88% of the way but the last 12% will give you fits. :)

Hey Tanks! looks good.

You might also screw around with the numbering conventions at the end of the file names...not sure if it will work on the independent buildings, but in CMSF we were able to create EXTRA textures to go along with the stock textures for the modular buildings...LLF made an 8th texture.

Nice to see you back.

Mord.

I'll be damned, it's Ed! Boy, it's good to see you back! You know, I really missed you around here lately. Hope you're doing well?

And you've even have the courage to take up building modding! Mister, you're a better man than I. I took one long look at them and felt so daunted by the task I wasn't even about to try. Looking forward to your work. And if you need me for testing your work, just holler, okay.

Hey Juju,

It's great seeing that you and other mod gods are back.

Yeah, modding buildings is very daunting, and that's why I was just fiddling around right now. I thought it might be a little less so, since there are no winter or damaged, or winter damaged sets to feel compelled to make.

If that window/door issue is confined to building 000, (of course it had to be the first one I tried) I might keep playing around with the idea. You helped me so much before, I'd gladly send you my work for testing, if I decide to commit to doing it again.

Oh oh oh! A word to the wise from the original texture artist.

You might want to try reskinning any other indi building besides that first building 000. Every other building will cooperate with you on the project, that particular building will fight you. Especially around the windows. That first building 000 will cooperate with you 88% of the way but the last 12% will give you fits. :)

I'll look into it, that sounds promising.

Does the game need to be restarted for new textures to show up? Whenever I tried adding new BMPs to my Data/z folder, then going back to an already opened CMBN, the stock textures were still there.

I used to alt-tab out to the desktop and back so many times testing my mods in the old days, I hope that can still be done.

Hey Tanks! looks good.

You might also screw around with the numbering conventions at the end of the file names...not sure if it will work on the independent buildings, but in CMSF we were able to create EXTRA textures to go along with the stock textures for the modular buildings...LLF made an 8th texture.

Nice to see you back.

Mord.

Thanks Mord, good seeing you back too.

Looks like I have a lot to learn, thanks for the tip.

Yeah, man...long time no see.

Lots of cool things going on in the modding of CMX2...much more flexible in some departments...Weapons, Unis, helmets, and buildings can all have tons of extra textures...you can also add to many of the sounds. You'll dig it.

Mord.

We of the unwashed masses desire strongly that you do! You're CMx1 mods were the best.

Thanks for the kind words, your comments always helped keep me going during the CMx1 days.

Unfortunately, the same window/door problem showed up with building 001 and 002. I assume it will be the same with the rest. That really limits what I can do, aside from the wall texture itself. One of the unique things about Normandy buildings, from the pictures I've seen, is the somewhat haphazard placement and size of windows. Some entire sides of buildings have nothing but a blank wall.

I might have have to resort to just playing the game. ;-)

Tanks...try messing with the modular buildings, you won't have to worry about window placement.

The independent buildings would still look nice with a few customizations...one I can think of is a train station depot...any kind of business that the game doesn't already have could come in handy. People will love to have the choices!

Mord.

• 4 weeks later...