Situational Awareness..

Well i've a problem with getting situational awareness in bigger battles. Especially when the enemy attacks from different directions.

Often i missed short firefights between my soldiers and the enemy. So i cant react properly.

Are there plans to implement an autopause feature like in "Theatre of War"?

Or alternatively an Infobox like in "Panzer Command: Ostfront" which informs about the events?

OMHO such features are must haves!

Thanx for your immediate answer :) Btw, i enjoy the game a lot!

But i think the main problem of it is to keep the situational awareness for the player. It happens too fast that you miss something like:

-spotting an enemy

-the beginnning of an firefight

-incoming arty-fire

Wouldn't it be possible to implement an autopause-feature? it would optimize the game a lot!

Hafer,

How about an auto pause every 60 seconds?

Seriously have you tried playing turn based? It eliminates all the problems you mention plus you get to replay and enjoy all the action from as many different viewpoints and as many times as you want. What is more it is available now, and, if you want, you can consider it real tme with an auto pause every 60 seconds.

Of course it does have two drawbacks. You can't pause within the 60 second time frame, so if you have made a bad decision you just have to live with it. Secondly, you can't play it against another human except by email.

I shifted from WEGO to RT because I can pause when I want. My approach to situational awareness, if I'm not sure where the next bit of action is going to occur, is to pull the camera back to a place where I can see the battlefield. From there, I can see where the bullets are flying. Also, if an icon starts flashing I know that a unit is taking casualties. I have to hesitation about hitting the Esc button in order to investigate anything that looks like it might need attention. This is a "twitch" type game. There is nothing wrong about stopping things so you can give orders.

With WEGO, you get to study what happened at many times as you want. If you need to know exactly what happened and why, WEGO is the way to go.

Well, right now any unit under fire will have a flashing icon. This is supposed to alert you that they need attention. As a field commander, you just need to pause from time to time and make sure you know what your troops are up to.

They only flash once they've taken a casualty. If they flashed when under fire, the whole screen might as well blink on and off! (sometimes) :)

So far i have only played in RT mode, but all too often i find that i spend far too much time totally engrossed in some small scale action that i forget about all my other guys elsewhere on the field, and all of my best laid battle plans lie in ruins . I guess it's WEGO here i come (again).

So far i have only played in RT mode, but all too often i find that i spend far too much time totally engrossed in some small scale action that i forget about all my other guys elsewhere on the field, and all of my best laid battle plans lie in ruins . I guess it's WEGO here i come (again).

I guess I like the problems with RT. I have some standard responses to parts of the battle that I can't pay much attention to: pull back, send out scouts, make sure they have artillery support.

In one recent battle ( home-made mod of Huzzar with more hills and a river name change), I saw the M10s shooting at something far away (around a kilometer anyway). I saw some of the shots bounce off so I thought there might be Panthers out there. I sent some Shermans to get an different angle on the target area, then I went back to saving a lieutenant who had gotten his jeep shot up on the wrong side of the Vire.

When I got back to check on the Panthers, they turned out to be Panthers alright, but they had gotten immobilized or knocked out without doing any damage that I could find.

So sometimes things turn out ok.

The lieutenant, by the way is doing ok and is back on the US side of the river directing some mortar fire at his former side of the river and his old jeep.