THIS is why we test ...

Sometimes the tedium of testing is lightened by moments like this.

Keep in mind that this happend on turn two, well out of LOS of anyone. In fact it was as far to the rear as one could go. Behind a house even.

I give a custom-made Ami recon squad a Plan Order to move around a mortar position and down a railway. This is an HQ with just two Scout Teams, a Breach Team and a LMG Team.

Turn one ... They move out as ordered, reach the mortar position... and halt with time running.

Hmmm. Well, I will see what is the matter next turn. Push the button.

It is thirty seconds in, and the sluggards are still watching the mortar crews do their jobs. I suppose one of them needed to use the outhouse...

HUD1a.jpg

----

Then I just about come out of my chair...

HUD2a.jpg

BLAM! WTF?!?!?

Now either there was a freak methane buildup, or those morons blew up the cr@pper!

They procede to move out like it's just another day on the job...

HUD3a.jpg

After I was able to regain control of my own bodily functions, I thought I would share this encounter with a flavor object.

It's a good thing Steve & Co didn't put in a "smell contact", or those guys wouldn't get far at all.

Imagine the poor mortar crews.... the rain of sadness all over them.

:D

--

Funny and actually a potentially useful find. At least I did not know that flavour objects could be blasted with demo charges. I tried a bunch of others and found that haystacks and shelters can also be blown up. Not fountains, large fountains, street lights, telephone poles, benches, drums, boxes, sacks, carts, or other stuff that I already forgot, however.

Boodytrapped outhouse! :)

Now THAT would be the FRAPs of a lifetime. Single German soldier appears to enter shed, as demo charge goes off.

-----

The non-hilarious reason for their behavior came to me after I was able to finally get a viewing in without spraying my drink all over the screen.

It has to do with tile crowding and order pathing. Even though I saw what seemed to be plenty of room for the order to be carried out, alas, it was not to be.

Neither the start nor end point of the order were near the mortars. the end point was small and situated between two rows of forest, so the plt would naturally travel down the tracks.

The bottleneck occured where the mortar teams and their Hannomags were parked near the map edge. The squad would not break our little Matrix AI rules re:gamey map edging(yay btw), and they would not go through the mortar positions for some odd reason(assumption.. fire mission under way), and their best-path 'quick' order was compelling them forward.

So rather than detour a tile or three... they burn a demo charge on an outhouse and wake up the whole world at 7:12 AM.

"Path's clear now Sarge!"

"Way to go Private."

"But I'm a Corporal Sarge!"

"Not anymore you idiot."

-

So rather than detour a tile or three... they burn a demo charge on an outhouse and wake up the whole world at 7:12 AM.

"Path's clear now Sarge!"

"Way to go Private."

"But I'm a Corporal Sarge!"

"Not anymore you idiot."

-

ROFL

Wait a sec, just to make sure I understand this correctly... the AI will blast (if a blasting option is available) any destroyable items in its path as long as there was no other faster alternative to get to their ordered target waypoint or as long as there was NO other alternative to get there at all?

As per your comments I understand it to be the former (scary)... just need to make sure.

The first choice looks that way for now Viaj, but I only have a sample of one.

After looking in the editor for that version of the Plan, I found that the endpoint for the quick order WAS a tad closer to the mortar position that previously thought.

This meant that any detour would have most likely exceeded the TacAI Quick order parameters for 'best-time'.

So they blew the sucker.

Load up some tiles with units and trees and flavor sheds, then send a breach team though. See what happens.

---------

I moved the order endpoint down the tracks and the behavior was not repeated.

The upside is that now I can script in explosions almost anywhere and anytime I want to throw off the Human player. (insert evil grin)

No one notices outhouses during setup, so they won't notice when one is gone.