A quick survey: is CMBN conducive to competitive gaming?

But the 'acts of God' are intervening EVERY battle of CM, that's the whole point.

The same is true of any competitive endeavor to some extent. I'd argue that the typical ladder game of CM is more "fair" and less dependent on luck than a single hand of poker. It's only when you play many hands of poker that luck gets averaged out, and the same principle can apply to competitive CM as well.

The CM titles have always attracted two type of player. Those who want to *WIN!* (all caps with an exclamation point), and those who want to *experience*. The experiencers want to be placed into 1944 Normandy. Not just 1944 Normandy but 11 June 1944 exactlly 1km northeast of Carentan at two oclock in the afternoon. whether or not they win the battle hardly matters. The others want to WIN! preferably on a mirrored map against carefully balanced forces without any pesky acts of God intervening in the battle. :D

Brilliantly apt! There are indeed two distinct PBEM communities in CM (and probably other sim games). And sometimes they can barely communicate with each other. My theory is that the latter vent their testosterone overload in work and sports. The former, well, don't.

But the more the merrier.

My theory is that the former consider the latter to be a lower form of life. That's certainly the impression they leave.

Uh-oh... enter the philosophical....

: )

Wasn't everyone warned about this!

LMAO!

Back to the topic of the thread though, for those of you who have been competitive ladder or tournament players before in CMx1, what is your honest opinion on CMBN being as conducive to competitive play as CMx1 has obviously proven out?

Cheers!

Leto

The CM titles have always attracted two type of player. Those who want to *WIN!* (all caps with an exclamation point), and those who want to *experience*. The experiencers want to be placed into 1944 Normandy. Not just 1944 Normandy but 11 June 1944 exactlly 1km northeast of Carentan at two oclock in the afternoon. whether or not they win the battle hardly matters. The others want to WIN! preferably on a mirrored map against carefully balanced forces without any pesky acts of God intervening in the battle. :D

I'm in both camps. but in the same subset of those camps. I want to win, as the side that lost... on 11 June 1944 exactlly 1km northeast of Carentan at two oclock in the afternoon.

I HATE mirrored maps with perfectly balanced forces.

You know that German officer cadet who fell and broke his back on a training exercise on May 2nd 1944, just days before recieving his commision?

Yeah.

Leto;1273852']

Back to the topic of the thread though, for those of you who have been competitive ladder or tournament players before in CMx1, what is your honest opinion on CMBN being as conducive to competitive play as CMx1 has obviously proven out?

The lack of anything equivalent to a Combined Arms (from CMx1) option in QBs is the only concern I have. I never played QBs with unrestricted force selection in CMx1, so I don't know if that is conducive to "competitive" play. If people are fine with that then no problem. If not we may have to figure something out.

Leto;1273852']

Bit early to tell, CMBN has only been out one week, time will tell, although I see no reason why CMBN won't be as successful as CMx1 in "ladder play".

Was just playing Starcraft 2 and thinking how amazing that Battle.net setup would be with CMBN. Leagues, ladders, match history, matchmaking, stats, replays, all neatly organized. A pipe dream I know, but it would be awesome.

Edit: Playing SC2 after a week of CMBN is not a good idea, I have discovered.

The lack of anything equivalent to a Combined Arms (from CMx1) option in QBs is the only concern I have.

I was looking for a thread to post this in and I guess this is the best place.

Absolutely love the QB system. Its great - leaps and bounds beyond CMx1. But the only thing missing is the true 'Combined Arms' option from CMx1. Yes, there is mixed. But you are unrestricted with point allocation. So you could do all armor. Or all artillery. Or all air support. Or all MG's. Or all AT guns (*cough* AI *cough*).

BFC, any plans to bring back some form of 'Combined Arms' where there is a point restriction to certain categories?

For those who never used it in CMx1, 'Combined Arms' allowed you to buy anything, but you could only spend up to say XX% of your total points on armor, XX% on light vehicles, XX% on artillery, XX% on support weapons (MG's, AT guns, ect.). It was a great system.

In the mean time, you could obviously set limits with your opponent ahead of time, and trust your opponent to follow them. But . . . well, you know how trust goes on the internet :D

Thanks in advance.

Chad