AI Patrol

You can just paint Orders taking the path you want them to, paint the spot you want scouted, then have other Orders after that taking them back to the start or wherever you want them to go. Did you want them to linger at the scouting spot?

The problem is that I can not use a Move only order to a group. The slowest move order I can give is the assault order :confused:

Make generous use of the Exit After/Exit before times. Move them to one spot, sit them there for fifteen minutes, move to another spot sit them there for another 20 minutes. I am no fan of leaving open-ended 'default' 0:00/1:00 Exit After/Exite before times. Then the AI orders simply become a walking tour of the map. Its like owning a sportscar but never learning to use the stick shift.

Patrol patterns are fairly simple to produce, but require test runs in scen author mode for tweaking to avoid traffic jams.

I am making one with patrols running up and down a road. It helps if you can create a feasible turn-around area such as a courtyard etc.

This allows one to create patrols that run from one compound to another, turns around, then goes back.

Assault/Active is going to most likely be your best option.

Send patrol to a zone.

Wait.

Send patrol to next zone which is very close.

Wait.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can make a group move extremely slowly if you so choose, by setting the next order to one set of tiles further along and a minute or two between moves.

-

But is it still the case (as in CMSF, that is) that AI pixeltruppen will never not move quickly (i.e. run/jog) from one zone to the next, even if they're not in contact and they have plenty of time to get to the next zone? In other words, is it still impossible to have AI pixeltruppen move cautiously (i.e. Move/Hunt/Slow rather than Quick/Fast/Assault), as actual patrolling infantry would?

No. CMx2 isn't really designed to support partisan or behind-the-lines type actions. All AI troops are assumed to be "at the front" and keenly aware of that fact. Hence the "dashing" or "crawling" default behaviour.

The only exception is if the AI troops are Exhausted; they will then MOVE (walk) instead of QUICK. So if you really really really want a patrol to walk instead of running, you might try giving them a heavy machine gun or sumfink, have them FAST or SLOW up and down for a while until Exhausted and then send them on their way.

Here are a few suggestions you might try...

Make the troops 'unfit' and they won't move fast for long. This could also model the "Stomach Battalions" that were used for rear-area duty.

For a vehicle patrol, set up some low hedges and low stone walls at the beginning of the patrol pattern. Set very short travel orders over the obstacles(so they won't go around). Test to see how many obstacles it takes to damage the wheels to the point they travel as slow as you like.

Again, make the order zones very close together. The troops and/or vehicles will not get up to speed. They will stop-and-go, but that may be as good as you may get.

Hope it works out for you.

-