Shoot and scoot

I'm no expert at CM2 yet but I'd suggest you try:-

Hunt- Pause(5-10 seconds) -Reverse

However, to be surer that your vehicle (presumably) gets to its intended shooting position you could use:-

Move (or Slow) - Pause - Reverse

You could add a bit of finesse by adding Pop Smoke after say 10 secs before it reverses.

As above: HUNT = Move to Contact, then stop

Did you know that at each waypoint you can select one of the Combat orders (under the "C" tab in the UI) for each waypoint? Imagine you've plotted a 5 waypoint movement order, a,b,c,d, and of course, e.

Select the first segment, which ends at "a" and open your Combat orders. Perhaps choose TARGET.

Next segment, ending at "b", select TARGET LIGHT

For "c", how about TARGET ARC?

"d" seems like it needs TARGET

"e", the finish, would like a FACE

If you move in an inverted V, start, mid, end; Go FAST, at the mid pause for, oh, 20 seconds with a COVERED ARC, then REVERSE back to the end. Move, shoot, reverse.

Etc.

Ken

Did you know that at each waypoint you can select one of the Combat orders (under the "C" tab in the UI) for each waypoint? Imagine you've plotted a 5 waypoint movement order, a,b,c,d, and of course, e.

Select the first segment, which ends at "a" and open your Combat orders. Perhaps choose TARGET.

If you move in an inverted V, start, mid, end; Go FAST, at the mid pause for, oh, 20 seconds with a COVERED ARC, then REVERSE back to the end. Move, shoot, reverse.

Etc.

Ken

Wow, thanks

I didn't realize this was all possible!!

Etc.

Ken

just a similar question,how can I issue an order to an immobiled vehicle that make it fire a few rounds then stop and look at another direction under wego mode,thank you!

yes C3K answered, quick or fast is the best to minimise arrival time, covered arc so your AFV is already looking in the right direction. The pause time is dictated by spotting times and whether you want it to shoot 1 or 2 shells, (which depends on the AFV/crew/etc.) then get the hell out. :) There are endless possibilities.

One thing you have to be careful of when using shoot and scoot is that everything else being equal, a non-moving AFV will spot a moving AFV first..

Some of the tactic threads in Shock Force Tactics subforum might be beneficial to read just to get an idea of what you can do in this sense.

I think you are talking about this one:

25a6ses.jpg

ev2d8z.jpg

2n718gj.jpg

You can make the plan much more elaborate if you wish, even adding pop smoke. If you add more waypoints you can do any number of things.

"Deathblossom" my favorite.

4m0qoat.jpg

Be careful with backing out in a different direction than the one you advanced (like it is done with the M1 in the CMSF example). the WW2 tanks take awfully long time to turn and they do this after the pause has elapsed so you stay there exposed and turning.

in my experience move in Quick (rarely Normal - just too slow), cover arc very narrow on the potential target. 5-10 sec pause and then get the hell out of there. if the enemy tank gun is already points approximately in your direction it's probably better to stay only 5 seconds there. often suppressive fire by an LMG or HMG on the enemy can distract the guy.

Additionally I try to have some infantry (preferably an officer) already in my firing position watching to be sure that there will be no ugly surprises (the eyes on the enemy). When appropriate I bail out the tank platoon leader and put him there to guide his tanks in.

We definitively would need some telephone wire here :-)

A minor point: the combat order given at a waypoint only takes effect upon reaching that waypoint. It seems obvious, but it can be confusing. The result of this rule is that the vehicle will follow that combat order until it receives a new combat order.

In the linked images, above, the M1 Abrams using the shoot-and-scoot methodology is a good example. At start, it has no combat orders. It will move QUICK to the first waypoint. At that waypoint it will TARGET the building downrange. As it reverses, it will CONTINUE to TARGET the building downrange. It will NOT adapt the COVERED ARC command until it reaches the waypoint at the end of the reverse.

In effect, the combat action for a movement path is determined by the combat command at the waypoint BEHIND the vehicle.

Make sense?

Ken