All I want for Christmas is a 40mm Bofors

Echo

I'm stil really interested about the ~20° barrel rise and how he managed to stay on target.

With my knowledge about firearms and guns/cannons I'd say it's a physical impossibility... but then I don't know anything about the 40mm bofors, especially not with post-war modifications and a targeting computer.

Any takers?

I'm stil really interested about the ~20° barrel rise and how he managed to stay on target.

With my knowledge about firearms and guns/cannons I'd say it's a physical impossibility... but then I don't know anything about the 40mm bofors, especially not with post-war modifications and a targeting computer.

Any takers?

Perhaps you need to think less about ballistics and more about video editing.

An ex-Air Force Gunship 40mm Bofors was my parting gift to the Aviation Officer Candidate School in Pensacola back in '82. As a soon-to-graduate officer candidate, my class Gunnery Sergeant, Gunny Goforth (no kidding) asked me to find something "neat" to "decorate the place a little bit." Being resourceful, I drew a vehicle from the motor pool and some surplus appropriation forms from the Admin office and went down the road to Eglin AFB to see their DRMO (Defense Reutilization something or another). I asked for some "neat stuff" and they showed me some slightly used dummy bombs. I said, OK, but how about something special for Gunny Goforth? They took me to a warehouse where sat this 40mm gun that had been taken off an AC-130 and converted into a training aid (welded breech, etc.) I said "SOLD" and phoned for a truck from AOCS. The Gunnys said on the phone, "Waddya need a truck for?" I said, "You wait and see." When we drove up with the Bofors on the bed, he practically hugged me. Immediately, details of junior officer candy-o's as we were called, were swarming over it. First to repaint it Navy Gray. Then, to clean every piece of brass on it until it shined. The Gunny enshrined the Bofors by the front entrance to my barracks, where to the best of my knowledge, it remains to this day. Doubtless a generation of candy-o's have cursed me not knowing my name, for having given them this blasted piece of sh!t gun to shine up every frick'in day. True story. :D