Artillery & Radio communication question

Hi i have two questions, one about artillery and one about radios and communication.

1. What is the differens between 1 and 4 guns when requesting a fire mission ?

Will the ROF be higher or will they just use more ammo ?

So if i choose a LONG Duration which would be ~28 rounds will they use 4x more ?

So each gun will use 28 rounds ?

2. Why does this unit not have contact the their Platoon HQ ?

They have a radio but no radio contact...why ?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/cmnormandy2011052016233.png

Regarding the first question, as I understand it, the difference lays with the number of tubes used. So if you call for a heavy, long barrage with 1 tube you will get 28(ish) rounds at sustained ROF into the target. So one round hitting every 5 or so seconds (I do not have figures to hand on ROF).

If you choose heavy, long with 4 tubes you will get 28 rounds PER TUBE into the target at sustained ROF. So 4 rounds every 5 or so seconds for a total of 112 rounds.

This can be useful when calling harassing fire (or saving ammo) where you would chose a light rate of fire, for a long or maximum duration with a single, or two tubes. Whereas if you wish to reduce the target area to a smoking pile of debris then go for heavy, long on 3 or 4 tubes. Also, you must consider your firing platform, as a single tube of 240mm or 155mm may be as effective as 4 tubes of 81mm or 60mm mortars over the same duration and ROF. Consider also the purpose of your fire mission. I will also use more tubes and a higher rate if I believe there to be grouped targets in an area (when calling down area fire), as I want to inflict maximum damage in as short a space of time as possible to prevent whatever I am shooting at (and his colleagues) from retreating and posing a threat to me in the future. If I am trying to supress a single squad then less tubes and rate may be appropriate. Etc etc...

I may be wrong, but this is as I understand and utilise it in game.

AIUI, units will often lose radio contact while they are moving, and regain it after a while sat still. This has been commented on in the context of artillery spotters: if you have your spotter move about too much while calling in strikes, they'll not be able to correct the spotting rounds properly because they might not be in radio contact.

About Nr. 2

None of the units is moving, the screenshot was taken during the setup phase and after 2 rounds they still have no contact.

Might be a bug, but what about the platoon HQ? The break could be on that end. Can't really get to the bottom of it with so little context.

Actually, I think you're seeing something different here.

If I read the unit name C2 chain correctly, this team is part of what is probably of some sort of forward observer and/or signals platoon (4th Platoon) of K company, which I guessing is the Battalion support (i.e., Mortars), or possibly the Signals company. The 9 Rifle Companies in a U.S. Infantry Regiment are usually lettered A - I (3 per Battalion). I'd have to check a detailed TOE to be sure what K Company actually was, and I'm not feeling like doing that digging right now...

Anyway, if I'm right about this, then while this team is technically part of 4th Plt., K Coy, 3rd Btn. for training and administrative purposes, 4th Platoon doesn't usually function as an integral unit on the battlefield; as a support platoon, it normally apportions its teams out to the Rifle Companies and other units, as needed. So, this team does not generally stay in contact with its administrative command (e.g., the 4th Plt. Co) while on the battlefield. Note that it does have radio link with Battalion Command, and its own Company Command, which is what it need to do things like communicate indirect fire request from Battalion (or higher) assets.

I would doubt that. In CMBN all units with radios that are in the same platoon or company are able to communicate with each other.

4. Platoon is the HWP of the company. The unit in the screenshot says "HQ Support" which would mean that they support the Platoon HQ in some way, so why should they be unable to contact them with their radio ?

Note that it does have radio link with Battalion Command, and its own Company Command, which is what it need to do things like communicate indirect fire request from Battalion (or higher) assets.

No, the green lights are links up the chain, not from the selected unit. This unit is out of contact with it's Plt HQ, but the Plt HQ is in contact with Co HQ, and then moving up the chain, the Co HQ is in contact with the battalion HQ.

I really can't sort this particular situation out without more context.

Just checked it both real time and turn-based and the team in question is in comms by radio with the 4th Platoon HQ.

Sure ?

Do you play in Iron mode ?

Move them a ~100m away from each other and let the first turn begin.

Still in contact ?

Can someone else test it ?

Moved 4th plt to left side of setup zone and the 1st team to right side of setup zone, still in contact.

Started the game and sent 1st team to woods and while moving was still in contact but when reached woods it lost contact because by this point 4th came under fire so I moved 4th the woods on left then contact was regained so for me it seems to be working.

Sure ?

Do you play in Iron mode ?

Move them a ~100m away from each other and let the first turn begin.

Still in contact ?

Can someone else test it ?

Ok, you were correct. The radio contact was lost because of movement of the 4th platoon HQ.

But the "HQ support" guys, even if in radio contact cant help the others to call in on-map mortar fire.

On-Map Mortars -> HQ support -> 4th Pl HQ -> K Company <- 3th Pl HQ

All are in contact (radio exept the mortars are in voice contact with the HQ support) but the 3th Platoon cant call the on-map mortars, why ?

This way it works:

On-Map Mortars -> 4th Pl HQ -> K Company <- 3th Pl HQ

Again, all are in radio contact except the Mortars and the 4th Pl HQ which is in voice contact with the mortars.

Can someone please explain ?

Ok, you were correct. The radio contact was lost because of movement of the 4th platoon HQ.

But the "HQ support" guys, even if in radio contact cant help the others to call in on-map mortar fire.

All are in contact (radio exept the mortars are in eye contact with the HQ support) but the 3th Platoon cant call the on-map mortars, why ?

This way it works:

Again, all are in radio contact except the Mortars and the 4th Pl HQ which is in eye contact with the mortars.

I think mortars have to be in voice range of the previous link in the chain (if they don't have their own radio). Giving azimuth and distance corrections by hand signal is going to be a lot slower (impracticable?) than by voice.

I think mortars have to be in voice range of the previous link in the chain (if they don't have their own radio). Giving azimuth and distance corrections by hand signal is going to be a lot slower (impracticable?) than by voice.

Ok, i mean they are in voice + eye contact on the same action spot and it still does not work.

What I did was park a radio jeep with motars and all hqs had access.

Huh ?

Sorry i dont understand...

It still would be cool if someone could explain this to me:

All are in contact (radio exept the mortars are in voice contact with the HQ support) but the 3th Platoon cant call the on-map mortars, why ?

This way it works:

Again, all are in radio contact except the Mortars and the 4th Pl HQ which is in voice contact with the mortars.

Huh ?

Sorry i dont understand...

It still would be cool if someone could explain this to me:

If you park any vehicle with a radio nearby your mortar, the mortar should show a 'radio' C2 icon, and therefore be 'on net' and available for calls for fire. This even works with a buttoned-up Sherman that's firing its weapons, which strikes me as a bit odd...

Looks like someone has a similar problem there:

I played QB yesterday where my company XO could not call in on map mortars, but my platoon HQs could, is that how it is supposed to be? Seems like the XO team should at least be able to perform that function.

But i cant find a real answer why this is that way...

And remember, the HQ suppor has a radio.

The manual says:

Without a radio nearby, that group of on-map mortars is

pretty much limited to only firing at targets within sight.

But in my example there is a radio nearby.

EDIT:

To make my point clear:

cmnormandy2011-05-2112imac.png

cmnormandy2011-05-21128jjf.png

Why is it that way ?

Both (HQ support unit and mortar crew) are under the command of 4th Platoon HQ.

But the mortar crew is unable to use the radio nearby to communicate with 4th Platoon HQ...why ??