Modest Interface Requests: "Done" Button

As someone who has recently transitioned from realtime to WEGO play in CM, I find myself making the bone-headed mistake of hitting the big red "Done" button when I'm not yet ready. This sometimes happens during the playback phase, when I've paused my review of the action and then make the mistake of hitting "Done" instead of "Play" to get it going again. But it's worse when I'm in the orders phase and hit "Done" accidentally or because my brain isn't sure I'm actually out of the playback.

I propose the following simple changes:

1) Make "Done" a different color during the playback and orders phases, so the player will have immediate visible feedback on its function in the current phase.

2) Ask for confirmation when ending either phase, or at least the orders phase. I know some people will wail "But that adds a whole 'nother mouse click to the turn!", but it seems a small price to pay for peace of mind during PBEM. It's just too easy to accidentally blow a whole turn right now.

3) I'd also be happy with a more obvious visible distinction between the orders and playback phases. Maybe "Playback" could be superimposed over the otherwise-dormant orders button block of the interface during playback.

I think these changes will make it harder to make simple, irrevocable mistakes that can ruin a game. This will be especially helpful for those who play late at night with a beer in the other hand.

As someone who has recently transitioned from realtime to WEGO play in CM, I find myself making the bone-headed mistake of hitting the big red "Done" button when I'm not yet ready. This sometimes happens during the playback phase, when I've paused my review of the action and then make the mistake of hitting "Done" instead of "Play" to get it going again. But it's worse when I'm in the orders phase and hit "Done" accidentally or because my brain isn't sure I'm actually out of the playback.

1) Make "Done" a different color during the playback and orders phases, so the player will have immediate visible feedback on its function in the current phase.

2) Ask for confirmation when ending either phase, or at least the orders phase. I know some people will wail "But that adds a whole 'nother mouse click to the turn!", but it seems a small price to pay for peace of mind during PBEM. It's just too easy to accidentally blow a whole turn right now.

3) I'd also be happy with a more obvious visible distinction between the orders and playback phases. Maybe "Playback" could be superimposed over the otherwise-dormant orders button block of the interface during playback.

I think these changes will make it harder to make simple, irrevocable mistakes that can ruin a game. This will be especially helpful for those who play late at night with a beer in the other hand.

You have my support on this.

I have done this before and agree that something should be done but I am totally against 2). Being a web programmer, I know that mouse clicks should always be kept at a minimum.

I like the idea of a different colored or maybe putting the word DONE on the button during playback/orders.

Thx

jonpfl

Along those same lines, I'd be grateful if the button that ends playback and the one that ends the orders phase were not one and the same. Accidental double clicks, absent minded errors etc have made me miss many a turn. Just relocate one of them elsewhere so there is no confusion.

I'd prefer that above confirmation. Constant Yes/No clicking would end up getting on my tits too.

I have experienced you pain as well. More common for me is trying to give orders while in play back mode. At least I figure out my mistake without messing things up.

Not a bad idea. Colour alone is not always the best way to denote change. I would suggest the button be a green circle during the order phase for "Go". It could even say "Go" right on it - if translation allows. During the play back phase make it a red octagon for Stop. That could cause some confusion between stopping the play back temporarily and exiting the play back mode. Another alternative could be a red rectangle with "Exit" on it.

Please, please do *not* do this. There is no worse sin in UI design than to add confirmation dialogs for normal activities. This is the kind of thing that makes people yell at their computers "Yes, of course, I just *told* you to do that".

That could work too.

This is even more annoying while playing a PBEM - the number of times I've pressed the Big Red Button in CMSF when loading up an opponent's turn rather than the comparatively teeny Play button has meant I've missed the playback and it causes all sorts of annoying reloadings and filename issues to get the turn reloaded without creating an orphan outgoing turn...

So yes, please spare me from my own fat fingers!

... mouse clicks should always be kept at a minimum.

You really think that bothers the interface designers of this game? Have you used the support request interface? Or that one extra mouseclick per turn is going to be noticeable in the scores it takes to set up the orders for that turn?