Feature Request: Line area-fire order

I'm currently enjoing CM:BN very much, the demo was a nice surprise and the complete game is not less fun.

I like to play WEGO mode, because I like to view the replay multiple time from different position of the battlefield and because it simulates nicely the difficulties commanders have on understanding what's is really happening on the battlefield before issuing any order.

But I miss the possibility to move the target command in order to suppress a whole bocage (or houses) line in the same turn (without wasting ammo for 60 seconds on the same spot).

So, since we have already the "Line" fire for Artillery, I was wondering how difficult would be to implement a line target for area fire order too.

Especially as tanks, in the bocage, machine gunned at a set distance as they they moved, not concentrated in one spot. The hope being the steady curtain of advancing fire would disuade any hidden infantry from attacking. I think though that you would need a simulation of beaten zones for this to work, and we don't have this yet.

I usually split up a squad. Let the one element area fire hoping the enemy will reveal itself. Even adjacent 'tiles' will be affected most of the time.

Then I have the other part of the squad and additional squads standing by without a clear target (perhaps only an arc) and they will fire on spotted units as they see fit.

Works quite well to cover a 'line' without having an actual command for it. But it does require some work.

Yeah, or an Area Fire Covered Arc.

This notion has been bobbing around for a long time apparently.

In the meantime, try splitting squads and giving each split team a separate action spot to target. Or give the squad a pause order followed by a move order and attach another area target to this new waypoint (doesn't work for HMGs though as they need to deploy). There's another thread where this is discussed in a lot of detail - with the large number of posts at the moment these things drop off the main page in a matter of minutes!

Are you talking about making the linear target width wider? Say a rectangle that would cover a larger area vice the circle as depicted in area fire?

No, I was talking about issuing area fire to Infantry or tanks. Currently the area-fire order is on a single point (even if the squad open fire against the whole block).

My suggestion was to allow us to give line area-fire orders like we already can do to artillery missions, in order to suppress more blocks of bocage or houses in the same turn.

I also like the idea. Use the same mechanics as Linear Targeting that artillary uses but transfer it to infantry, armor or anything that can shoot. That way units could lay supressing fire down the length of an area of bocage or a couple houses rather than just concentating on 1 small area. Naturally, the results shouldn't be as affective as if they were concentrating on one focal point...

No, I was talking about issuing area fire to Infantry or tanks. Currently the area-fire order is on a single point (even if the squad open fire against the whole block).

My suggestion was to allow us to give line area-fire orders like we already can do to artillery missions, in order to suppress more blocks of bocage or houses in the same turn.

Ahhhh! I see! Good call!

Here's the last thread on this topic I could find, it goes into quite a bit of detail about how to get squads/vehicles to cover multiple action spots (only really a problem in WeGo of course, in RT you just wait 10 seconds and target the next spot):

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=96736

Thanks for the link.

There are some good posts in that thread after the discussion derailed to this topic.

I also like the idea. Use the same mechanics as Linear Targeting that artillary uses but transfer it to infantry, armor or anything that can shoot. That way units could lay supressing fire down the length of an area of bocage or a couple houses rather than just concentating on 1 small area. Naturally, the results shouldn't be as affective as if they were concentrating on one focal point...

I'd love to see this added in a patch.

Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't already been added. Area Fire was a weak spot in the CMx1 engine. I'd hoped for better in CMx2. They did such a nice job on the Arty options too.

Papa

Here we go again!

1. Order tank to area fire a spot with 20 second pause.

2. Order tank a very short length quick move.

3. From the new move "bubble" order the tank to area fire a new spot with 20 second pause.

4. Order tank to do a very short length quick move.

5. From new move "bubble" order tank to area fire for rest of turn (20 seconds).

Three areas shot at in one turn. Work? Yes. But we love WEGO don't we?

Here we go again!

3. From the new move "bubble" order the tank to area fire a new spot with 20 second pause.

5. From new move "bubble" order tank to area fire for rest of turn (20 seconds).

Yes and I actually do use that method sometimes (and it works well). As far as WeGo? When it comes to battles like Huzzar where I have many units moving for long distances from seperate reference points--I LOVE it!

:)

Here we go again!

This works, but it would be nice to have a feature that makes this a simple task - either a fire arc or a line of fire like the arty command.