Yes, you can tow guns. Depends on the gun and the tractor, of course - don't expect to pull a 10 ton 88 Pak 43 with a Kübelwagen! :D There also need to be vacant seats for the crew.

You can tell if the gun can be attached by putting the move cursor over the vehicle. If it changes into a downward arrow, the vehicle is eligible to tow it. If the cursor turns red, it means it's a no-no.

The vehicle needs to carry the gun crew so Puma is out of the equation. I just tried German HTs and as long as there's seating space for the crew it should work. I was surprised to see a Pak40 limbering to a SPW 251/3 radio command vehicle but there was enough seating after i had offloaded the HQ.

It also depends on the gun. 88s can be manhandled into position but there's notihng in the game to tow them with. Also - I haven't tried it for awhile but there might be a countdown clock to get the gun in shape for towing. And don't forget vehicles tow 'limbered' guns which then have to 'deploy' to be operated.

The working theory is the gun crew will stay with their gun through thick & thin, but if they're compelled to abandon it they're going to make a point to spike it first. No running away from your gun and hoping it'll still be there a half hour later.

Well, this wasn't my AT gun piont but I might as well include it.

I've noticed a holdover from CMx1: the AI tends to spend A LOT of points on AT guns for QBs. I've played two today and basically, once I've knocked out their AT guns it's game over. They seem to select them almost in place of infantry, or anything else.

Anyone else notice this? Must I resort to picking the AI's forces myself?

Didnt those AT guns have a key or maybe just the firing pin that the crew would always take with them if they had to abandon the gun? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

There's been a discussion on this, an I seem to recall someone with actual arty experience explaining that SOP was to take some parts with them (including the sights) when leaving the gun unattended for some time, and that they would have been supposed to outright destroy the gun if they were to abandon it in actual combat.

Thinking about the 88's some more. I would think a regular spw halftrack could tow one even if that wasn't standard TO&E. Was it decided not to because of the animation required to change a 88 into its towed appearance? Oh well one would rarely move a 88 anyway. If I recall in CMx1 once you unhooked a 88 you could never rehook it and there was no "towed" graphic.