CMBN (not demo) won't restart after shutdown

Had the same problem. Solved it by:

1- Deleted (using the control panel) all cmbn files.

you need to manually remove some files.

2. Turned off my Anti-Virus software (I have Norton)

3. Re- installed cmbn

Make sure the Anti Virus software is disabled everytime you play cmbn.

If you forget to disable the anti virus... you need to do steps 1-3 again.

Hope this helps until BFC can find a better solution.

I'm not sure if anyone else is noticing this. If I try to restart after exiting, nothing apparently is happening. However if I look at the Task Manager, I see one core fully occupied. If I stop the Combat Mission Process, I can then restart fine. I am running WinXP by the way.

Chris

I have the same issue.

Added CMBN to exclusions from scan on my Avast but it does not help - i have to go to task manager to restart it.

Why won't you're HP allow you to update your ATI driver? Oh... wait... are you using a laptop which HP so thoughtfully decided to make a custom driver for? Grr...

I forget how to find them, but there are hacked ATI drivers out there that I used to use on my Mac laptop to override Apple's custom drivers. It worked great and generally the hacked ones were released pretty quickly after the official ones. ATI even had a link (at the time anyway!) to the hacked drivers in their tech support area. Which tells you something :)

Steve

Of course, my brand new HP won't let me update my ATI driver. Another HP hapless owner that won't be purchasing this game.

Another work-around I used (until I updated my drivers) is to open task manager (cntrl+alt+del), look in the processes, highlight the BattleFront program and click end task. After doing that the program should start up again. At least it worked for me. It's a couple extra steps but a lot better than not playing the game ;)

There is a hack out there to fix this, I had the same problem with my HP. It is crazy making!

Okay, I think I have figured out a way to jailbreak my driver's and solve the problem. It was somewhat radical. The critical step is a program called ReadyDriverPlus v1.2 that disables an overly paranoid safety in the Windows boot file. This joyous little file will only allow the laptop to run drivers signed by Microsoft, it is my assumption that HP is simply too cheap and/or lazy to either test new drivers and release them, or allow the standard version of catalyst to run. Ready Driver Plus disables this.

The next step is a wonderful little jail broken driver from http://www.hardwareheaven.com/window...0-10a-1-a.html. This guy seems to be borderline brilliant at working around the computer manufacturers attempt to make us crazy. If anyone else is having this problem please note this is a link to the link, and not the program itself. It all appears to work for me wonderfully, although I've barely had any time to play in the last three days. I am however going to repeat what the programmers themselves said, this is an as is, no warranty, it may break stuff, kind of thing to do to your computer. I would however like to address my appreciation to these gentlemen for helping us deal with the very worst sort of intentional planned obsolescence. I will never buy another product from HP, ever, not so much the printer cartridge. The fact that this bloody hack worked is more or less absolute proof I shouldn't of had to do it.

Battlefront has, as always, provided the best customer support anyone could reasonably ask for. This is appreciated.

Hi Moon,

That indeed did the trick. Thanks very much!

Chris

FWIW, I was running Windows 7 64-bit with fairly recent 11.2 ATI drivers, and also had the same issue until I installed the current 11.5 drivers. Just a few months made a difference, the 11.5 did the trick for me, as well. :)

I saw this happen on my brother's machine. XP and ATI card, no idea what drivers.

If you don't want to update your drivers you can crtl-alt-del, go to processes then END the CMBN process that is still running and you will be able to start it again.