Newbie Idea: User Map Tags

As a newbie, I'm curious if the idea has come up before that it would be helpful, especially for those of us who don't have photographic or encyclopedic memory, if we were able to tag map locations (via cursor) with user-entered verbiage and color code them.

One could scout out the terrain before starting the battle and tag significant terrain features that presented either opportunities or dangers, each with its own color code. One could tag phase lines or other locations crucial to strategy, color coding them as option 1 or 2. Tagging anticpated enemy placements, or locations planned to be bombarded at some point.

One could tag certain significant event locations during the battle. I'm sure a lot more uses could be developed once the capability were in place.

The feature would need to be on-off toggle-able by the user and unseen by the enemy, sort of like a marked up map with the battle plan on it.

Granted a lot of things change once the battle begins, but I find I get lost to easy once things get going. And I'm not getting younger. I forget things easily. This would be a battle management aid. It could also be useful for WeGo players who want to quickly note action they will later want to review.

Thoughts?

I think we have enough stuff on the screen as it is...

Does the mention of making it toggle-able make a difference to you? Toggle it on while paused to review your plans/notes, then toggle it back off to resume so as not to obscure all the info currently displayed?

The on-map tags also have the advantage of not taking your eyes off the screen to consult a printed map. However, I'm sure this will not appeal to everyone, and a printed map with handwritten notes is better than nothing. That can be done now simply by creating a screen capture and printing that.

DaddyO, where on the ToDo/Wish list do you think this idea would land, if hasn't been added already, approximately?

Unless there was a clamor of support, very low. Even with a clamor of support low. But you never know. All it takes is someone in the creative team seeing the possibilities and saying, "You know what? That's not a bad idea."

I have no illusions about it. But I had the idea, to me it seems like a very useful tool, so why not express it? You never know how others might react until...they do.

Re: versions, it never occurred to me to think about the current one, which is largely put to bed.

Seconded. Spring has this feature for players to mark the map and communicate with each other. It's pretty useful. A contour display would be nice too. I don't like having to eyeball for every hull-down position and piece of cover in a game of this scale.

Combine this with a coop ability and players could coordinate easily. Think huge battalion or regimental battles. *drool*

Seconded. Spring has this feature for players to mark the map and communicate with each other. It's pretty useful. A contour display would be nice too. I don't like having to eyeball for every hull-down position and piece of cover in a game of this scale.

Combine this with a coop ability and players could coordinate easily. Think huge battalion or regimental battles. *drool*

Coop would have been awsome! But it's something we proberbly never ever will see :)