Anybody running an NVidia 465?

Ok, this is gonna be kind of vague...I dropped my dead comp off at the shop today and come to find out all I needed was a new graphics card...so the guy upgraded my old NVidia card to a 465, 1 gig. I don't know like who makes it or anything (didn't think to ask while we were on the phone) My specs are...

WinXP Media Edition,

2.1 AMD Dual core

2 gigs of ram

That's all I can remember off hand but it's the pertinent stuff for now.

My rig worked fine with CMSF and CMA...wasn't blazing or anything but I could play scenarios like Allah's Fist on Best/Best and like 8x AA, without driving the card into the ground...It'd get a little choppy with bigger scenarios if I had a hundred guys all firing at once and stuff but still manageable.

So, can I expect any performance enhancement from the better card...it's gonna be twice the speed of my old one? Is this particular chipset any good with CMX2? Will I be able to run CMBN or will I need more ram (I know more ram is always better but for now I am stuck)...does ram even make a difference? Or am I screwed and need a whole new processor and MB?

I'd really like to hear from anyone that owns a 465 on their overall impressions of it as far as CMX2 gaming is concerned.

Mord.

Since I have no problem running it on a GTX 275, my guess is the bottleneck in your performance will be your processor more than the vid card, the graphics in this game just aren't that demanding (because to be brutally honest they're not that good).

I've run the game w/ one gtx 275 and w/ 2 in SLI, I see little difference.

So I suspect that not only does SLI/Crossfire do nothing, the graphics cards beyond a certain point are not the bottleneck.

Course i'm running an i7 920 o/c to 3.6mhz and the game still isn't as smooth as say, Shogun 2 (which in a graphics comparison makes this look like it was made the same year as cmbo).

So to be honest, I don't think this game has much in the way of graphic optimization going on, or in short, your 465 will not be your problem running this game, the game itself will. ;)

Cool. Thanks. I am just hoping to squeeze at least another year out of my machine before I have to get a brand new one or replace the MB and processor. Hoping the card will handle the game without any weird glitches or anything. My old card did pretty good...a little texture blobbing sometimes but other than that CMSF was very playable least on the smaller maps.

Mord.

The GTX465 is a good card. I have a GTX470 in my current system and am quite happy with it. FPS at 1920x1080 with grafics maxed out are fine (30-40), only trees moving in heavy wind cause FPS to drop into single digits. But that's probably due to a rendering problem and will hopefully get fixed in the future.

Your slow CPU will bottleneck your card's performance though, slowing down FPS in large engagements.

More RAM is always good, but from what I've seen CM:N doesn't seem to be very much RAM hungry and you need a 64-bit OS to use more than 3 GB anyway.

Couldn't tell ya what I didn't know...Hence the word "vague". But now that you mentioned it...I do remember it's an Athlon. Don't have the specs because it's been broke down for like three months. I should've tried looking in CMSF forums 'cause I think I posted them before.

Actually, all I needed to know for the most part is how the card ran and Parabellum and Medex say it'll work so I should be ok.

If CMSF was playable with the old card and setup, CMBN should chug a long ok.

Mord.

Found the specs I'd posted way back when...

WINXP Media with all the updates.

Foxconn C51GU01 Motherboard

Socket 939

AMD 64X2 Dual Athlon

Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHZ

2 gigs PC3200 DDR....

Vidcard WAS BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC 256MB GDDR...NOW is Nvidia 465 1 GB but don't know

the maker

Mord.

A 2.2 GHz K8 isn't too bad, but a 7800 GT is worse, so you will probably see a big improvement.

In most cases your power supply meant for a 7800 GT will not be able to feed a 465. If so you might blow up the whole thing.

You can turn this into a very nice machine for single-thread games like CM by putting in a 3.0 GHz or so single-core socket 939 chip. But there are limits, just getting RAM to go to 4 GB is nasty since DDR1 RAM is so expensive.

Thanks. That's good to know...I may go that direction down the road and keep the machine as a CM only rig once I get an updated system. I wasn't aware that I could get a single core chip for it and I'd said something to the guy about upgrading the chip when I took it in but he probably wasn't thinking single core was a step forward.

I can't remember exactly but I had a pretty big power supply in the machine, I hope it's enough to run the card or that he at least replaced it.

Right now I am just pumped about having my comp back and not having lost all my files and the like. I trouble shot the crap out of the machine and had thought I'd lost the HD.

Mord.

I will probably go that route with the single core if there's too many problems. Have any idea where I could get a 3 ghz chip for that setup? I looked on pricewatch and a couple websites last night but either wasn't seeing any or understanding what I was seeing?

I just got off the phone with the comp place and come to find out they didn't give me the 465...On Saturday, when I asked if they put an Nvidia in the comp a dude told me that it was an Nvidia 4650...so I looked it up and only came up with a 4650 for ATI...so, beyond hope I was praying he put a 0 on the end by accident and he meant an Nvidia 465. Nope. Gave me the 4650 Radeon 1 gig. Now I'm all worried...I gave up on ATI because of CMBO and never looked back. I am loathe to want to deal with that card. He didn't have an equivalent NVidia so I am stuck.

Any issues with this and CMx2? I am gonna check on the CMSF forums and see if there are any horror stories.

Mord.

That figures...plus I got the mark up...I guess I have to look on the bright side and just take the bite in the ass on this one. I can usually fix most of my comp problems but I was at my wits end when I took it to the place so I am happy to find it was just the card and nothing worse. IF I'd known it was the card I would've researched my butt off and found a decent Nvidia for a little more money...funny part was I was actually doing that around the time the computer died.

Well, hopefully it'll give me a little boast over the 256 meg card I was using before...if there are no problems that is.

Mord.

Well, I got the comp back, ran CMSF and was pretty happy with the results (knock on wood)...I put it at best/best, turned AA on, turned vertical synchronization on...cranked up the cards settings for AA to max X8 plus Adaptive AA to Quality and Anistropic Filtering to X6. I can't complain...even seemed like once I got in the game I was accessing menus much faster. Loaded up the Brit vehicle car lot (which has all the Brit stuff) and barely had a stutter as I panned around.

Tried out CMBN and it's looks beautiful. Started up a mission, had a company run by with a tank in tow...followed them and I hardly noticed anything, stutter or slow down, so I am good to go.

May not have been the card I'd thought but that extra 768 megs must've given me a decent boost.

Nice to have my comp up and running and have three flavors of CM to play.

OK BFC...now that you know I am set, go ahead and release the game...you don't have to wait on me anymore!

Mord.

I have a Nividia GTX 450 going into a 40" LCD HDTV at 1920 + 1080 resolution.

It worked great for CMSF and the CMBN demo works well too. Very pretty.

Hey man... How do you like the your GTS450 with the old CMx1...?

Does it do well with CMAK and CMBB...?

What kind of a rig do you have to run that...? Sounds nice...

Cheers,

Ken

I have a cheapo 240 1 gig

runs fast, clean graphics, and did I mention it was cheap?

amazingwhat time does as this think is a low power faster ersion of cards just a few years ago pricing in the hundreds..

beware look at the spped of the mem on the cards though, lots of veriety in the 240s

Hey man... How do you like the your GTS450 with the old CMx1...?

Does it do well with CMAK and CMBB...?

What kind of a rig do you have to run that...? Sounds nice...

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken

I think I played PBEM with you, your name rings a bell. Your a good player. If you want to play CMBN PBEM...... PM me. I would love to play some PBEM games with you. :)

I haven't played any of the old stuff at home for ages and that was on different computer. But i will load up my CD's and let you know. You know I loved the old stuff too but I think once you get a taste of CM2 (CMBN) you won't go back. Well maybe you will... i still play CMBO at work cause it don't require a install that IT doesn't approve of. I think CMBB is like that too. But I tried CMAK, CMSF demo and IT blocked it. The bloody barbarians. How dare they expect me to be productive at work.

My computer is:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.61GHz

Motherboad: Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H

RAM: 8 gig

Win7

All this is in a big huge case with lots of ventilation and a big honkin power supply. :) I got one of the IT nerds at work to throw it together for me. He aint a gamer but he is the nerdy type that likes all this computer hardware stuff so he had some idea what i was looking for. I suppose he could have a built me a bigger faster fancier beast if I had gave him more cash. But all want to play is CM and that's all i play and so far it plays it well. So if you can find something similar you should do well.

I got the sound running into a NAD 3020 integrated amplifier which feed two Paradigm export monitor speakers. The neighbors lover me. :)

The GT 240 is actually a very good card for games like these given it's price that often is around $40 and the fact that it is very low on power consumption.

The GTS250 is not recommended. It is a rebranded older 9xxx GPU and needlessly takes a lot of power. The money you save goes out with your power bill, and that doesn't take into account that you need a good PSU that costs extra.

Hi Ken

I think I played PBEM with you, your name rings a bell. Your a good player. If you want to play CMBN PBEM...... PM me. I would love to play some PBEM games with you. :)

I haven't played any of the old stuff at home for ages and that was on different computer. But i will load up my CD's and let you know. You know I loved the old stuff too but I think once you get a taste of CM2 (CMBN) you won't go back. Well maybe you will... i still play CMBO at work cause it don't require a install that IT doesn't approve of. I think CMBB is like that too. But I tried CMAK, CMSF demo and IT blocked it. The bloody barbarians. How dare they expect me to be productive at work.

My computer is:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.61GHz

Motherboad: Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H

RAM: 8 gig

Win7

All this is in a big huge case with lots of ventilation and a big honkin power supply. :) I got one of the IT nerds at work to throw it together for me. He aint a gamer but he is the nerdy type that likes all this computer hardware stuff so he had some idea what i was looking for. I suppose he could have a built me a bigger faster fancier beast if I had gave him more cash. But all want to play is CM and that's all i play and so far it plays it well. So if you can find something similar you should do well.

I got the sound running into a NAD 3020 integrated amplifier which feed two Paradigm export monitor speakers. The neighbors lover me. :)

Hi Medex,

I am stuck with my old computer rig from 2005 right now (so I haven't even bothered to DL the new CM:BN).

I am all over the forums asking questions about what video cards people are using, as I gather information for the purchase of an up-to-date computer and monitor.

I just started playing the CMSF demo that has been sitting on my hard-drive since gawd knows when. It looks like fun since it has We-Go (in the demo, at least).

I look forward to hearing how the old CMx1 plays with the newer video cards. If they can't handle smoke and weather effects, then that would be disappointing.

Everyone has been a great help so far. I am getting an education on new rigs.

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken

BF tech support says the old CM games won't work so well with newer cards. I haven't tried it out yet. The only way I would play the old stuff is PBEM. But I'm not interested in that anymore. I'm moving on. CMBN is much better.

Why don't you keep the old beast around for the early stuff and get a new rig for the future CM games.