Demo refuses to launch

I've successfully downloaded and installed the demo, but it refuses to launch. When I try to do so, absolutely nothing happens. No processes start, nothing, nada.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times, and tried to start about a dozen times. This is frustrating to say the least.

Oops, I wanted to whine first, facts later!

It is a desktop, Windows XP, AMD dual core processor 2.7 gig, 2 gig RAM, NVIDIA GForce 8800

This is very similar to my setup (although not a dual core) and I have no problems running the demo. Probably need to look at any security software you have first.

76mm, make sure your anti-virus or security software is not blocking the game. Make sure your AV or security software is not using virtualization (e.g. Virtual Keyboard from Kaspersky). Make sure you do not run any process explorers that tend to try to inject code (such as Microsoft Process Explorer). Those are the top three things that will prevent the demo from launching.

Very strange, I've given it permission under zonealarm, and have tried after shutting down zonealarm, and I don't think I have any process explorers (although I don't what what they are!).

Just nothing is happening...no error messages during installation or anything.

Well, got it to start...not sure what the problem was, but I rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, and it worked. I noticed that when it installed it was trying to install it in the "My Documents" folder, which seemed a bit odd, and I put it in C://programs, if that matters.

Well, got it to start...not sure what the problem was, but I rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, and it worked. I noticed that when it installed it was trying to install it in the "My Documents" folder, which seemed a bit odd, and I put it in C://programs, if that matters.

I was wondering about this as well as this was the first game I have seen try to install an actual game into the "documents" folder. I have seen saves/configs put there before, but the first time I have seen actual game files be installed there. Any reason this path was choosen instead of the typical programs directory? Just curious.

I was wondering about this as well as this was the first game I have seen try to install an actual game into the "documents" folder. I have seen saves/configs put there before, but the first time I have seen actual game files be installed there. Any reason this path was choosen instead of the typical programs directory? Just curious.

It is a location where non-privileged users can write (contrary to the "programs" folder).

This is only true for Vista and later, but that is what most people have, so they defaulted to that location.

I have a problem too. Windows 7, 64 bit. Installed as Admin, running in XP, xp3 mode as admin or in Windows 7 compatibility or no compatibility selected.

The splash screen starts up and then it says "has stopped working".

Bummer. Have you guys tested with W7 pro 64 bit?

I see. Thanks for the reply.

So, yes, I have an ATI Radeon HD 5800 card. Does that mean I can't play CMBN? :( That would make me very sad.

I had a specific issue with Win 7 64 and ATI where the game did some strange things in gameplay with the mouse. Basically, I couldn't do any clicking and couldn't scroll. As a last grasp to fixing it, I changed it so the game "runs as admin" and since then I have not had a single problem. To set this option you have to right click on your game icon and turn the feature on within the compatability tab. Not sure if this will correct your issue since it was different than mine, but worth a shot if you haven't done so. Also, make sure you are using the latest 11.5 drivers from ATI since that also cleared up a problem when ending the demo.