What Elevation Angle do you normally play?? Zoomed in would be cool with a MINI-MAP!

I never really got into SF, but I've played all of the CMx1 games for MANY hours ... I'm just now starting to get into the forums again.

I used to play CMx1 at a high angle of elevation ... where I would see about 30%-40% of the entire field the entire time.

But with CM:BN, I can't decide if I want to limit myself to basically a 3rd person view where I'm floating about 20meters behind and above my units with the trees ON for maximum realism ... or float above the entire field.

A cool option might be to have a "mini-map" that would let you jump from area to area by clicking on the mini-map. On the mimi-map all of YOUR UNITS ONLY would be displayed. .... This would encourage me to keep on a more zoomed-in level. And at the same time as Company CO, I could keep track of where all my units are.

Just a though.

I play turn based but am all over as well. I like going in close to see what the troops see and with suspension of disbelief, pretend if I was there - what would I do? But all the deciding about what to do next comes after I see the overall picture. After all, pixeltruppen are not that clever and I have to play the role of their individual intelligence, so to speak. I just think of myself as an omniscient commander!

Mini map would be a cool thing. Maybe for Bulge game or East Front we can get this.

I Play WEGO and prefer to watch from 1 & 2 levels. I like the "in the fray" feel. Very occasionally I go up to level 3 during replays if terrain makes it difficult to see what's going on from lower viewpoints.

But it's a pain moving around the battlefield and plotting orders at these levels, so I'm frequently popping up to higher levels during orders phases. A mini map would let me stay down at 1&2 more and would enhance immersion, I think.

A mini-map would also reduce the need for me to take one hand off of my beer to do camera navigation. This would definitely be a gameplay improvement.

A mini-map would also reduce the need for me to take one hand off of my beer to do camera navigation. This would definitely be a gameplay improvement.

You are COMPLETELY correct here! ... That would be a GREAT secondary benefit of having the clickable mini-map inset.

I spend most of the time in the 3 to 4 range, but do go to 1 to see the land from the unit perspective when need be. I have 1-4, and 6 programed to my mouse along with tab key, and -+(cycle though units). With all thes controles tied to the mouse I find I navigate the game quickly, and with ease. Get a mouse with as many buttons as possible. Really makes a difference in the speed of jumping around on the map. For a mini map type view try 8,9. I personaly do not find the need for a mini map for CM as many RTS have. For the hardcore dude who wants to stay gound level one way I see that working would be to see a map in the equipment list. Clicking on it would pop the map up to the screen to see it large. It would be like l your typical military map with contour lines, grid, and such. The map would have a close button bringing the player back to the main battle screen. This type of map would be usfull to any style of play, but especially usefull for one who want to stay ground level. Having a map like I describe that can be opend and closed would not take up space such as the typical mini map in many games which I find too small to really get a feel for the landscape. Anyone who has played Operation Flashpoint would know the exact type of thing I am describing.

I played CMx1 at what I think was view angle 4. Basically the units are all small dots. Not a big deal in that game as the infantry were only moderately detailed and you could make them large size anyway if you wanted to see them.

The models in CM:BN are so nice I wish I had multiple large screens so I could zoom in more and still see the battlefield. Even 30" and 2560x1600 isn't enough.

I joke that most people seem to raise the camera level to just where they're starting to miss out on the cool detail and play from there. it drive me crazy. I have to watch those Youtube vids of the game with my hands in my pockets because otherwise I'm compulsively grabbing the mouse to try to lower the camera height :o