how to stop smoking

heh... anyway, my question is how to make a tank that has a target smoke command to just fire a round or 2 then stop. i tried giving a short move command then putting a clear target command on the waypoint, but no joy. then i tried changing the order to target light at the waypoint then clearing target. he just reverts back to firing more smoke. there must be a way! it's probably so simple i'd never think of it.

If want to fire just a round, give target smoke with a short pause, then a move command (even if very short) with a FACE command at the last waypoint to cancel the firing order. This is how you will do "shoot-n-scoot" in CMx2.

One solution is to play Realtime ;):D

Oh, another might be to first give a short pause then give a short move order, then select the end waypoint and give the movement point a smoke round target order! Admittedly its been a long time since I've done that but I think it still works.

One solution is to play Realtime ;):D

Oh, another might be to first give a short pause then give a short move order, then select the end waypoint and give the movement point a smoke round target order! Admittedly its been a long time since I've done that but I think it still works.

i've played wego so long even my brain thinks in turns...

Try a FACE command. It is one of the Target set; it _should_ override the Target Smoke command. Let me know. ;)

If I want just a few shots area fired - be it smoke or HE - I'll use a combination of movement orders + pause and covered arcs to break the target command.

1. I'll use the covered arc to put the turret in the right position,

2. move the unit to the position where it should fire,

3. pause it for the amount of time to area fire,

4. reverse with the shortest possible movement and

5. put the covered arc back on at that waypoint.

6. move back to the position or whereever.

Of course, if the unit is starting at the point where you want it to fire then you can start from step 3.