Need to get a new Mac

I have an early 2009 Macbook 2.13 GHz Intel Core Duo with 4 GB of 800 MHz Ram, NVidia GEFORCE 9400M Graphics, and the game runs fine, but the colors on the laptops screen are a little washed when compared to running the game using an external monitor, where the colors and vibrancy are a revelation!

2) Phil of BFC has said that CMBN cannot use more than 2GB of RAM, since the program is 32bit. So 4GB will be plenty to run the game, run OSX, and keep a web browser and iTunes running in the background. So I don't think there's any need to upgrade your RAM for CMBN. As noted, if you do decide to upgrade RAM, don't buy from Apple -- it's much cheaper to buy the RAM elsewhere, and do the upgrade yourself. It's very easy to do and is one of the only hardware upgrades you can do to an iMac yourself that does not invalidate the Apple warranty.

4) Not sure how much increase in performance you'll see with the better vid card. My guess is that most of the time, the limit on CMBN's performance is more likely to be the processor, so the better video card won't usually had a large effect. Then again, it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade, so perhaps it's worth it.

The Mac version is 64-bit and can use as much memory as you throw at it. 4GB should be plenty, for now. Lion (10.7's) memory needs may be higher and you may find yourself wishing for 8GB. I need to upgrade my Mac in this respect actually.

On the Mac the video card is the worst bottleneck. Apple's drivers are *not fast*, so slower cards will be much slower than under Windows. If you have the option, get a better video card.

The Mac version is 64-bit and can use as much memory as you throw at it. 4GB should be plenty, for now. Lion (10.7's) memory needs may be higher and you may find yourself wishing for 8GB. I need to upgrade my Mac in this respect actually.

On the Mac the video card is the worst bottleneck. Apple's drivers are *not fast*, so slower cards will be much slower than under Windows. If you have the option, get a better video card.

I stand corrected. That's great info to have. It also probably explains why the performance of the demo was markedly better on on the "Mac side" for me than it is when I ran the game in WinXP via Bootcamp.

In any event, Memory is a cheap upgrade, so if Lion makes 8GB desirable, it won't put me out too much (though I will probably try to postpone the upgrade to Lion until I buy a completely new rig).

I stand corrected. That's great info to have. It also probably explains why the performance of the demo was markedly better on on the "Mac side" for me than it is when I ran the game in Win98 via Bootcamp.

Did you really run the demo in Windows 98? Impressive.

Just a reminder to Mac owners - make sure to take a look at the performance guide we included. Good tips within.

In any event, Memory is a cheap upgrade, so if Lion makes 8GB desirable, it won't put me out too much (though I will probably try to postpone the upgrade to Lion until I buy a completely new rig).

Yeah, memory is best bought a) when needed and B) not from Apple.

Did you really run the demo in Windows 98? Impressive.

Whups; temporary problem with C2 between brain and fingers there. Meant WinXP.

Just a reminder to Mac owners - make sure to take a look at the performance guide we included. Good tips within.

Yeah; I can definitely attest to this. Some of the game settings you need to use to get optimum performance on a Mac are not at all what you would think at first glance. Read the performance guide and save yourself a lot of trial and error.

One thing I have noticed on my Mac vs. PC install is that the loading times on the Mac side are about twice as fast (or better). I'm still tweaking the settings to get it to play as smoothly as the PC side otherwise it's great to have the option to no longer BootCamp (particularly my laptop).

All,

Thanks for your replies!

Phil, where would I find the Mac Performance Guide? And do folks who have run CMBN in both a Wintel/Bootcamp environment and native on a Mac have any observations about which platform provides better performance (assuming comparable configurations)? Thanks!

Mac performance guide comes with the Mac version of the game; I can email it to you tonight if you'd like (I doubt BFC would object...)

As mentioned, game definitely seemed better on my 2007 iMac 2.4 GHz C2D/4GB RAM/Raedon 2600 Pro in OSX than it did in bootcamped WinXP (I tested on demo, then bought the full Mac version).

Even if the performance wasn't quite as good on the Mac side, IMHO it would still be well worth the convenience not having to reboot into Windows to play.

While I can't say definitely for the latest version iMacs, I do know that Barefeats.com tested the last generation & found the top of the line quad-core i7 27" to be the most cost effective due to hyperthreading & having the best video card, so I would suspect the same holds true for this generation of iMacs. I ended up getting that model based on the review and haven't had any problems in terms of processor or graphics slowdowns with anything I've thrown at it so far. If you have the money, the quad i7 is well worth the cost.

I also second the RAM suggestion. I upped to RAM from 4 Gig to 12 for half the price Apple charged for upping it from 4 to 8.

Jyri

Just make sure you get a 2011 with turbo boost as the one of the points sandy bridge CPU is being able to cut voltage to 3 cores and use it to overclock a single core. It's a really good cpu, I've got the 2.3 CPU 13 inch. Great laptop

Just remember 13 inchs are duel core, 15 and up are quad core. 15 and up have dedicated gfx card which are more batty hungry but better for games, although not so much for CMBN as it seems to be processor bound

Hi everybody

I've just ordered the Mac version and now I've got to get a new Mac just to play it cos my 2008 era 13 inch MacBook won't be able to hack it. About time too because I expect the existing Mac to croak sometime after 2012.

Gosh, another stupidity thread.

Dude, the game uses just one core, so the fancy i7 doesn't do you much good. As long as you have a usable video chip compared to screen resolution you are upgrading for nothing. At the same time you a) didn't even try and B) didn't post the stats of you old macbook.

You want a new toy, knock yourself out. But don't pretend that CMx2 "made" you do it.