British war records.

My two uncles served together in the Paras in WWII.

I was told this when I was very young so I could be well out but the story was they were involved in MARKET GARDEN. My uncle William Kulke (6'3" - built like a brick outhouse) was wounded and carried from behind enemy lines by his mate, Thomas Hind (5'6" but stocky). When he came out of hospital he brought his hero mate home who married my aunt.

My uncle Will stayed in the paras after the war while Tommy became a master carpenter and sawyer.

Does anyone know where I can check any records of their service online? Even to find out my febrile 8 year old imagination filled in blanks with dragons.

Thanks.

I can understand many of those vets not really wanting to talk much about what they went through- and I'm sure, right after the war they didn't feel too special, as millions of other men from around the world had gone through the war too, but today, every last word they could have written down about their entire experience would be gold to us!

Hope you can find as much info on them as possible!

I was told this when I was very young so I could be well out but the story was they were involved in MARKET GARDEN. My uncle William Kulke (6'3" - built like a brick outhouse) was wounded and carried from behind enemy lines by his mate, Thomas Hind (5'6" but stocky). When he came out of hospital he brought his hero mate home who married my aunt.

My uncle Will stayed in the paras after the war while Tommy became a master carpenter and sawyer.

Does anyone know where I can check any records of their service online? Even to find out my febrile 8 year old imagination filled in blanks with dragons.

Thanks.

Two uncles in the paras who fought at Market Garden. You must be a very proud fella.

Thanks.

try this site as a start

http://military-genealogy.forcesreunited.org.uk/2494/Airborne_Division_Composite_Company

Cheers para.

So your uncle was carried to hospital by Mr. Hind. And when he came out of the hospital, he brought your uncle home, and then your uncle married your aunt? Excuse me, but I don't think that these kinds of... relations were recorded officially.

You can't judge everywhere by Finland Sergei.

Other means,

The National Archives at Kew is a good place to start a lot of their stuff is on line but much isn't. I am also not sure how much WWII personal info has been released into the public domain.

I appreciate that Kew is a long way from where you live. However, I go there regularly on my various researches and am due to go on Tuesday of next week (the 26th). If you want me to I'll happily have a dig around for you, just drop me an email or private message with as much as you know of your uncles' personal details (full name, DoB, rank, battalion etc. the more you know the easier the search will be).

All the best

Thanks a lot Blackcat. I'll ask the family for all the data they know - which may even lead to the search being redundant.

If this is going to take you hours I won't ask it of you though. Are the records electronically searchable?

Depends what records one if after. Most of the catalogue is computerised, you can even search it on line (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/), but thereafter it depends. Some documents are available electronicly, some on microfilm and some only in the original paper form. It is all free apart from if you want anything copied/printed when you have to fork out 30p a sheet.

As I said I go there frequently on various research projects and am now pretty slick with the systems so digging up on your uncles won't take me long and it'll make a nice change from the medieval stuff I am going up next week to look at.

I did a project last summer on the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge (May 1915) and found myself going through some battalions' original war diaries - written at the time, often in pencil. A fascinating and sometimes strangely creepy experience.

Most of the offices that deal with war records have extraordinarily friendly and helpful staff. In my search for my late father-in-laws wartimes records (and why he was awarded the Polish Cross of Valour for a feat of outstanding personal bravery on the battlefield) and mentions in dispatches, I've probably dealt with five or six different offices, and every one of them has been a simply stellar experience.

One office even went so far as to let my wife know her father was entitled to but had never been given a number of medals and couriered them to our home in Canada with a delightful letter signed (and personally annotated) by someone high up in the current British Army.

Blackcat, on consideration I thank you for your offer but I think it's something I'd like to do myself. A little project for when I can look into it.

Cheers.

Fair enough, Mr. Means, I can see your attraction to doing your own research. If can help in anyway, like getting copys or printouts, feel free to ask. For the next few months I expect to be at the Archives at least once a fortnight.