Is the AI Improved over origional CM?

As I said earlier..... some of the guys have created FANTASTIC maps. Some are jaw droppingly detailed and one or two you forget you are fighting a war and wish it was where you lived. :) No lie, no spin, no fanboi hooey. Then theres some I have created that will make random maps a necessity! J/K

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah, I've just realized there's no random map generator in CMBN, and I'm actually fairly sad about that. I played a lot of games that way, and a big part of the fun was being surprised by what I was presented with, and having to deal with it.

That said, I agree that there will be large libraries of custom maps popping up in no time, and I for one will contribute my share to any said repositories. I imagine them grouped by map size, terrain types, etc, grabbing a set, and firing up QBs on them.

Luckily there's already 200-something maps for QBs made, so the map makers have a head start before you start seeing the same map. ;)

I don't know if anyone else had this experience with CM1 but random maps were far better when the parameters were set to random. Trouble was you could get some naff ones, fog, obliterated landscapes at night (not good for armour!) but you could just reload. Villages were not just a scattering of houses but real settlements and woods appeared in large blocks not small 30-40 sqaure metre blocks. The more control you exercised the more the battlefield became less realistic until you got the 'patchwork quilt' of terrain tiles effect.

• 1 month later...

I think I have to put in a few words in defense of SOD (or SOD off as one poster called him). Yes he was incredibly rude to George MC (who gave a very informative answer to a vague question), and he has some bizarre opinions. But he has a good grasp of the English language: his spelling and grammar are good and his sentences are well constructed. As far as communication skills go he is batting a thousand percent over the average internet forum poster.

On the charge of fanboyism, I think we have to give him that one. We are all busy people with careers and families and so forth. Who else but a fanboy would spend hundreds of hours researching the details of Panzer IV (Panzerkampfwagen IV to you) and then spend dozens of hours arguing the relative merits of the Ausführung F1 and Ausführung F2 variants (and then spend hundreds of hours arguing about whether the correct designation of the "Ausf. F1" is "Ausf. F1" or "Ausf. F").

I myself have no interest in such things (it's Ausf. F by the way). CMBfN is just a game and we are all looking for something different. SOD off is obviously looking for Steel Panthers: the Next Generation. I was looking for that game too when I stumbled upon this site. And yes, I'm a little disappointed that Battlefront dosen't seem to grasp the importance of hex based top down wargaming. Or that they don't have sufficient respect for the genre to correctly model the GI's shoe laces. But we work with what we've got. Until someone updates Steel Panthers so that it can utilise all the resources of my Crossfire powered supercomputer I guess I'll just have to settle for this crappy game.

Who else but a fanboy would spend hundreds of hours researching the details of Panzer IV (Panzerkampfwagen IV to you) and then spend dozens of hours arguing the relative merits of the Ausführung F1 and Ausführung F2 variants (and then spend hundreds of hours arguing about whether the correct designation of the "Ausf. F1" is "Ausf. F1" or "Ausf. F").

Fanboy != Grog. Obsession with detail does not preclude constructively criticising the product, whereas being an uncritical True Believer does... :)

Hold on, why am I helping necro this thread? Oh well.