Interface questions

Having played CM:SF for a little bit now I got a few interface questions/comments for BN...

1) On the left side why can't the solider status list be moved off the screen to either:

a) Below it into the unused black "dead" space?

B) Be integrated into the solider status weapon icons in the middle of the screen?

I find it an odd placement and at times hard to see and disjointed.

2) Why can't soldiers have a "dead" icon or graphical indicator, why must they disappear when they are dead? Wouldn't it be easier to keep track of what is going on if you knew how many men you started with and how many you now have?

3) An overall forces list somewhere would be useful.

4) Will there be any kind of information for vehicles/weapons integrated into the game? In CMx1 you could hit enter and get stats and kills on vehicles and solders. I found this very useful, any chance of a return in BN?

5) This is more graphical, but any way to get a real horizon as opposed to the floating platform, or at least have it even with the edge height? This always struck me as odd, for example the way Theater of War did it was very graphically pleasing.

6) Under the solider icons like in this mod:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=426

7) Better use of the "dead" black space on the bottom screen sides, or at least the option to make them transparent.

I know there are others as well but I'd like to start with these. Still very much looking forward to CMBN and I've already pre-ordered. :)

post-10050-141867622213_thumb.jpg

Some good questions:

"1) On the left side why can't the solider status list be moved off the screen to either:"

>AGREE THIS WOULD BE BETTER, MAYBE ITS NOT USED DUE TO SCREEN RES CONSIDERATIONS. IE 1024 x 768.

"2) Why can't soldiers have a "dead" icon or graphical indicator, why must they disappear when they are dead? ...."

>AGREE, I ALSO FIND SOLDIERS DISAPPEARING ANNOYING. MARKING THEM ON THE CONTROL PANEL IN RED AS OPPOSED TO GREEN RATHER THAN REMOVING WOULD BE PREFERRED IF LEAVING ON SCREEN IS NOT POSSIBLE (DUE TO FRAMERATE ISSUES?). I TOO LOSE TRACK. THIS IS A BIG GRIPE FOR ME.

"7) Better use of the "dead" black space on the bottom screen sides, or at least the option to make them transparent. "

>AS ABOVE RE SCREEN RES CONSIDERATIONS.

I agree with most points.

maybe they do not show dead soldiers because then they have to keep track of current weapons and other performance like calculations.

I mean a dead gunner is gonna lose his weapon to the loader pretty quickly and his ammo.

But in general just a red cross over the icon and his last known status would be cool.

Having played CM:SF for a little bit now I got a few interface questions/comments for BN...

1) On the left side why can't the solider status list be moved off the screen to either:

a) Below it into the unused black "dead" space?

B) Be integrated into the solider status weapon icons in the middle of the screen?

I find it an odd placement and at times hard to see and disjointed.

2) Why can't soldiers have a "dead" icon or graphical indicator, why must they disappear when they are dead? Wouldn't it be easier to keep track of what is going on if you knew how many men you started with and how many you now have?

3) An overall forces list somewhere would be useful.

At lot of us have been asking for these changes since CMSF was released. The disappearance of KIA soldiers from the lists is a real hit to situational awareness, and it forces the player to memorize the starting composition of each and every squad in the scenario.

This isn't such a problem in CMSF where most squads start at full-strength, but I assume that we'll have more depleted squads in WW2 scenarios.

The use of text itself to show what the individual soldier is doing is a problem as our brains process visuals much faster and better. I never bothered even looking at that small text window. However, Vein and another guy have created mods that attempt to make the text on the LHS screen more "visually arresting."

But, the best solution would be to do something with the colored weapons symbols at the bottom of the screen. Probably the challenge is that weapons get picked up and exchanged.

Good suggestions. How about a button on the UI that a user could click on and have a chart showing the order of battle, and each soldiers status could be color coded as to their condition.

Also, more tool tips for rank, unit, etc....would help as well.

Ah GUI's. My favorite thing to look at to give developers feedback on. After all, isn't all about command & control, and giving the player the clearest situational awareness (at a glance is critical for RTS). I mean it, I really enjoy coming up with designs for GUI. You can check this one I made for TOW. Unfortunately, from the TOW3 screens I saw I guess they never saw my GUI layout, which is better for RTS. My layout is an improvement because it lays the GUI graphic buttons out the same as the keyboard layout. 3 rows of buttons, not 4 like it is now. My layout improves eye/hand coordination for muscle memory making it easier to learn hotkeys. http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=93719

CopyofKursk1943.jpg

I have followed CMSF from it's beginning of development, and I think most would agree it has come a long way in this dept. from the first, and consequent demo's. For me, I did not buy the game till they fixed the preset camera views, which I use, quit a bit. I believe 1.11 was when it was fixed, and so bought the game. Everyone is sure to agree, that the situational awareness aids added such as the flickering icon when a squad has a casualty, and more distinct units icons such as the sniper's do make a difference in improving situational awareness. I, like many of you lobbied in feedback for these improvements, which just makes the game even better. Overall I really give the present build of CMSF very good in the C&C, and sit rep area of the game, but I do feel there are still some things that can be improved such as point #2. I am also glad to see others are interested in this aspect of the game as well.

1)If you change to a lower resolution you see those black bars disappear. Text is in most optimal spot where it is now due to this. To improve your situational awareness with the text try my animated text mod. This is the one Erwin is refereeing to. Guarantee with it you can see what is going on with a squad easier, faster, and more interestingly. Give it a try, http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=988

assaulttext.jpg

2)Yes, totally agree, and have a photoshop mock up. Leaving the weapon icon, and changing it to red, or dark red would give a faster sit rep. Not only making it clear to the player that there are casualties, but what WEAPON is down. That makes the difference in which I want to go be a medic to get that weapon. If it is a guy with an M4, he can be left to be treated by my XO section, since the XO doesn't seem to be much use for anything else in the game. For me this is the MOST important request. The red icons could disappear AFTER medic aid.

loacationcasualty.jpg

3) Nice, but not a feature of priority for me.

4) Absolutely miss that too from CMx1, but CMSF isn't any less fun without it.

5) I would have to agree TOW is a bit better in this aspect, but doesn't really bother the CMSF has it. Perhaps has to do with minimizing system requirements. I know I had to shelf TOW2 till I get a new PC due to lag.

6) I use that icon base mod, and think it is the best base mod out there. I recommend it to all.

7) see 1