CM and Win 7

CMSF and CMBN both work with Windows 7. However I doubt you'll see any much, if any, difference between running it on Windows XP and Windows 7. The OS isn't going to make much of a difference in the performance (other than Windows 7 needing more memory).

If you're upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows 7, then the upgrade process is a bit more complex since it is not a simple upgrade (I believe it involves wiping out your current Windows installation and installing Windows 7 from scratch). If you have a copy of the game running on Windows XP, you will want to UNLICENSE it BEFORE upgrading that computer to Windows 7. This avoids "losing" a license activation in the upgrade process.

Broadly speaking, I think the best OS is Windows XP since it interferes the least and doesn't require such high resources to operate. However Windows XP doesn't have all of the security features (for better and for worse) that Windows Vista and Windows 7 have.

So an upgrade to your OS is not going to really benefit any of the CM games. The loss in performance won't be great either, but if you're upgrading a computer with Windows XP, you may want to also upgrade the memory to a decent amount if you don't have at least 2GB of RAM.

I use Win 7 and originally had CMSF of an XP then Vista machine. As mentioned there is not a huge difference game wise between the 3 OS but I do find that Win7 is heaps more stable than any windows I have used before. Certainly Vista and even XP.

My game runs far better now on my Win7 machine but that is because it has a lot more RAM (4 Gb) and particularly Video RAM (1Gb dedicated not shared).

I can also hook it up to my 101cm HD Widescreen TV via an HDMI plug.... awesome! you can actually taste the sand.

Thanks for replies guys.

Well I`m temped to go and get Win 7 . I`ve got 4Mb and will get the same again.I know Win 7 needs a clean install.

My CPU is 3.33Mhz Dual core. and graphics is GTX 260. Computer is 2 years old.

If Shogun 2 is good then I will upgrade as above.

P.S. Can`t wait for Normandy. It`s going to be my favourite game by a long chalk.Had all CMBO CMBB and CMAK. So glad that we are back to WW2-Battlefront`s cashflow will no doubt improve......

I have the 32 bit version of Win 7, my wife has the 64 bit version and there is little difference between the 2 that we can see, we still network fine and all that. I guess in time there will be more and more 64bit programs but it isn't an issue atm.

I guess 64 bit is better for some high end stuff but nothing that we do.

My Win7 is actually an upgrade from the original Vista that my computer came with. It works just fine but I did have to do quite a lot of driver hunting. Once I got all that sorted tho' it isn't an issue. Mind you if I want to do a reinstall it will be a pain.

I think as far as the codes or licenses go you can only ever have 2 installs of the program at once and by the ULA you can only use one instance of the program at a time.

So in reality you only actually have 1 license but you are able to have it installed on 2 computers.

When you unlicense you are just moving it from one computer to another.

How many modules do you have and did you originally license the base game of CMSF ? Each module is going to have a license key and possibly the base game will too, if you licensed it (which is not necessary if you own modules, which will activate the base game along with the module with the module's license key). However you can't easily unlicense the base game if you installed and licensed any of the modules. That because the original executable has been replaced by one from the module that supports that module (a different executable than the original).The licensing system doesn't recognize that different base game executable file as what was originally licensed, thus the option to unlicense it isn't available. There's a possible way around this to my knowledge, but I'm not absolutely sure it works. That's why we typically advise anyone installing the game again NOT to license the base game (it's unneeded and unlicensing of the base game itself is much more of a hassle, if truly possible).

eLicense allows for two concurrent activations. This technically allows two installations to play simultaneously, but that is not the actual intent of allowing for two concurrent activations. We don't mind if two installations are simultaneously playable, but the original intent is to provide a 'backup' of sorts for when a license key is 'lost' due to an unforeseen problem such as a hard drive crash, virus/trojan infection, upgrade of Windows or hardware, etc. Then the second activation can come into play without delay.

Regarding the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. 64-bit Windows allows for the operating system (and 64-bit programs) to use more than 4GB of RAM, which is the limit with a 32-bit version. With the 32-bit version you're limited to a maximum of 4GB of RAM (PAE excluded), but it is often even less since there are other devices eating up that 'address space' (video cards, other PCI/PCIE devices, etc.). 3.5GB or less of usable RAM is common for 32-bit Windows versions. All of the CM games are 32-bit and typically won't use more than 2GB (or possibly 3GB, but that may require additional OS settings).

For CM's purposes either should be fine. If you have 4GB or more of RAM, then the 64-bit version would probably be recommended since you can access more of your RAM. While the 32-bit version can address up to 4GB of RAM, the reality is that it will see less than that due to other devices needing 'addresses'. So a 4GB system will have anywhere from 2.8GB to 3.5GB of RAM that is actually usable. With a 64-bit system you should normally be able to see and use all 4GB of RAM.

Generally for newer systems 64-bit OSes are recommended. 64-bit OSes and programs are not perfect; some 64-bit drivers and programs do not run as well as their 32-bit versions, but it is the direction that things are going. Most of your programs will remain 32-bit for a long time to come (most don't need access to a lot of memory). Databases, graphics editing programs and the occasional game will be 64-bit with the vast majority remaining 32-bit. Still a 64-bit OS can run 32-bit programs with the 4+GB of RAM - the programs don't need to be 64-bit themselves for the OS to take advantage of the 4+GB of RAM.

Just to chime in my personal experience. I've used CM on XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Vista64 and Windows7/64 have been nearly problem-free. Windows 7/64 is a VERY good operating system for my uses. (Normal home/gamer user.) The ONLY problem I've run into with W7/64 has been streaming Netflix movies. That was caused by using the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer. (I could've had W7/64 and IE8/32, but I chose IE8/64.) I now use IE8/32 for Netflix and all is good. (You can have both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE loaded and you can run copies of both, simultaneously.)

Go for W7/64. That's my summary.

Ken