Honest answer is as soon as it is ready... we are still sorting out some of the WWI feedback and as soon as that is wrapped up we'll put our efforts back into the WWII campaign.

But if all goes well it will not be that far off and pretty much we will get it to you guys as soon as possible.

It will, though with some changes so that it represents Europe in 1939: lots of new countries, lots of name changes too!

But I don't think there are any changes that will prevent you from starting to implement scripts for your own mod using this map, or at the very least working through ideas for your campaign.

Not 100% sure yet but I can say that scouting and trenches will be out.

Hubert, why is that the scouting going to be out? Couldn't planes do some or they weren't that effective in WW2? I know they used pup planes for artillery, but not sure/can't remember to what effect.

The simple answer is that at the moment, scouting, much like the trenches, are a WWI feature only and not part of the WWII engine.

We might look into including it but the way it is now for example, since Carriers in WWI and WWII behave completely differently, their functions are not really compatible as they are using two different coding structures and not easily mixed together.

Put another way we coded some things specifically for WWI for this release but kept the older code (behind the scenes) so that it would be easy enough to mod WWII by turning on the 'switch' in the Editor.

Not exactly as there are some changes that do cross-over such as the 8 majors as well as the various game engine and AI improvements.

Additionally the current Artillery setting is now the default for both the WWI or WWII engines and we've got Garrison units now as well.

There are more like this but pretty much the WWII engine will be familiar to those that have played the previous SC releases.

The simple answer is that at the moment, scouting, much like the trenches, are a WWI feature only and not part of the WWII engine.

We might look into including it but the way it is now for example, since Carriers in WWI and WWII behave completely differently, their functions are not really compatible as they are using two different coding structures and not easily mixed together.

Put another way we coded some things specifically for WWI for this release but kept the older code (behind the scenes) so that it would be easy enough to mod WWII by turning on the 'switch' in the Editor.

Hubert,

If you end up including some of the WWI features, then I believe a case should be made for the trench function in any WWII engine. They were used extensively wherever mechanized warfare receded or failed to deliver (Stalingrad, Caucasus, Kursk, Normandy stalemate, Italy, etc.). In fact, Soviet trench systems from WWII have served as a model for combat operations to this day in many parts of the world. Bottom line, mechanized units would still trump entrenched non-mech units, but non-mech vs. non-mech encounters seem to take up just as many of my SC engagements and would add more value to mech units in long run and increase their role as an Ace on the battlefield.

Oh, ok, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

And for some of us sitting on the sidelines, how about wetting our appetite with some additional features planned for the WW2 release, like units, tech, scripts, etc.

With the look of the big map, this will be cutting edge blitzkrieg maneuvering for the grand strategy scale.

Cantona66,

Sure no problem here is the current list:

#UK= UK

#FRANCE= France

#ITALY= USA

#RUSSIA= USSR

#USA= China

#GERMANY= Germany

#AUSTRIA_HUNGARY= Italy

#OTTOMAN_EMPIRE= Japan

#NEUTRAL= Neutral

#ALBANIA= Albania

#ALGERIA= Algeria

#ARABIA= Austria

#AUSTRIA= Belgium

#BELARUS= Bulgaria

#BELGIUM= Canada

#BRITISH_EMPIRE= Cuba

#BULGARIA= Czechoslovakia

#CANADA= Denmark

#CRIMEA= Egypt (Br.)

#CUBA= Estonia

#CZECHOSLOVAKIA= Finland

#DANZIG= Greece

#DENMARK= Hungary

#DON_REPUBLIC= Iceland

#EGYPT= Iraq

#ESTONIA= Ireland

#FINLAND= TransJordan (Br.)

#GREECE= Latvia

#HOLLAND= Libya

#HUNGARY= Lithuania

#ICELAND= Luxembourg

#IRELAND= Morocco

#JAPAN= Netherlands

#KAZAN= Norway

#LATVIA= Palestine (Br.)

#LITHUANIA= Persia

#LUXEMBOURG= Poland

#LIBYA= Portugal

#MESOPOTAMIA= Republican Spain

#MEXICO= Romania

#MONTENEGRO= Saudi Arabia

#MOROCCO_FR= Spain

#MOROCCO_SP= Sweden

#NORTHERN_CAUCASUS= Switzerland

#NORWAY= Syria

#PALESTINE= Tunisia

#PERSIA= Turkey

#POLAND= Vichy France

#PORTUGAL= Yugoslavia

For now yes as there are events that can be represented by having them at least listed as countries, i.e. popups and we haven't decided yet if there will be extra majors or not for the European Theater.

If there will be then they would of course be bumped from these spots so nothing is really official just yet.

Hi Amadeus,

Unfortunately I'd have to see your mod to know for sure, probably something wrong with the campaign or bitmaps etc., but difficult to say from the error message provided.

I can run it on my end in my development environment and receive a much more detailed message. Feel free to send it over anytime if you are still stuck.

Hubert